* Surge in interest in OCaml
@ 2008-04-01 23:54 Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2008-04-01 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

For anyone who is interested: we were having a quiet period with regard to our
OCaml products lately until the OCaml Journal published an article on LLVM
last month. This seems to have sparked a lot of interest in OCaml from that
community because this is a great choice of language for many of the people
trying to write compiler front-ends that use LLVM.

There are other aspects of commonality between OCaml and LLVM interest at the
moment. I see the topic of C++ parsers arose again here recently
(Olmar/Elsa). The LLVM guys are struggling to write C and C++ front-ends for
LLVM but they appear to be doing everything from scratch in C/C++. I have
been biting my lip trying not to say "Use OCaml!" on their mailing list but
perhaps someone with relevant OCaml experience could provide them with a
better starting point like a mini implementation?

Finally, one of our customers can up with a great suggestion: that we list
OCaml-related projects on our site that we believe would benefit the
community. One of the first things I would like to list is the creation of a
library that allows FFIs to be autogenerated at run-time using LLVM, thus
obviating the need for C stubs. I think this would be tremendously useful.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-04-02  0:04 UTC | newest]