From: Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>
To: Shivkumar Chandrasekaran <shiv@ece.ucsb.edu>, caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Fedora Core 9
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 16:52:36 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 08:37:08AM -0700, Shivkumar Chandrasekaran wrote:
> I was hoping you would reply. I did try the Core 9 ocaml packages. I
> then downloaded omake (which as far as I can tell is not in Core 9). But
> the ocaml compiler gave the same page table problem while compiling
> omake.[...]

You need to make sure to use the ocaml package which has the fix in
it.  (It was only fixed on Thursday last week).  These are the
packages minimum versions which contain the fix:

  ocaml >= 3.10.1-3  (for F-9)
  ocaml >= 3.10.2-2  (for Rawhide)

Because the packages are so new, you may need to enable the
updates-testing repository temporarily to get the new version.  I
think the command is:

  yum --enablerepo=updates-testing install ocaml

or you can edit some file under /etc/yum.repos.d/ to enable the
repository permanently.

OMake (ocaml-omake) is included in Fedora 9 (and 8), but possibly you
need to enable the updates or updates-testing repository to get it,
since it was only added a couple of weeks ago:

  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2008-3725

Here's a complete list of packages in Fedora:

  http://wiki.cocan.org/getting_started_with_ocaml_on_red_hat_and_fedora#Package_status

> echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space
>
> One thing I noticed that is different is that
>
> cat /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space
>
> returns 2 (before echo 0 ...) on my machine as opposed to 1 which is
> what most of the people in the bug-fix notes reported.

These don't fix the problem on Fedora.  The fix needs a patch to the
OCaml compiler.  The details are here, but as emphasized above, please
use the Fedora packages, don't build stuff by hand.

  https://bugzilla.redhat.com/445545

Rich.

--
Richard Jones