On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 09:40:36PM -0400, Peng Zang wrote: > Yeah, that always seemed broken to me. If two things are physically equal > (they occupy the same memory space) it doesn't make sense for them to be > structurally unequal (contain different content). Personally, one of the > first things I did is redefined (=) to fix this. It's not broken at all, but complient with a common and longstanding idiom (at least amoung scientists working with numerical codes.) The way we test for NaN is by comparing to itself, eg: if x = x then (* x is a number *) else (* x is NaN *) Matt