* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml Plug-in for NetBeans
@ 2008-07-26  9:02 hmf
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: hmf @ 2008-07-26  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

Hello again,

Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Saturday 26 July 2008 01:24:02 Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>> Jon Harrop wrote:
>>> If I might stick my oar in: why don't the OCaml community write an IDE
>>> for OCaml in OCaml using Camlp4 for parsing with throwback and LablGTK
>>> for the GUI?
>> Most people who actually code in Ocaml do so using the best IDE on
>> the planet, Unix. For those people an IDE is a step backwards and
>> hence they have no interest in writing one.

I am sceptical of comments such as those of Erik's (no disrespect
intended here). I suspect these people either have not tried using
an IDE or simply haven't made the effort to learn to use the IDE and
take full advantage of it. Which is surprising since mastering Ocaml
requires much effort, and all here seem to agree that the added
productivity of using Ocaml is worth it ;-). In fact mastering
emacs, vi, etc. with all those "modes" also requires a lot of
work. Why should the use of an IDE be any different?

> Graphical throwback of documentation is invaluable for interactive API
> exploration, particularly in the context of GUI programming (I currently
> trawl through ocamlbrowser's useful but very basic interface). A GUI to
> browse and visualize performance profiles is useful (I currently browse
> gprof's output as plain text files using KWrite). A GUI to visualize
> dependencies is useful (I currently lookup the use of "dot" every time I need
> it and the PostScript output is typically mangled by GhostScript).
>
>> So I have an idea; why don't *you* write a cross platform IDE and if
>> it really is better than Unix then people would use it.
>
> I shall see if it is feasible to develop such an application within an OCaml
> Journal article or two. I think it would be both very useful and a very
> instructive educational exercise combining several of OCaml's strengths.

Jon, I would really be interested if you could report back on your
experiences.

> However, the resulting program would most likely be difficult to distribute
> due to licensing issues (e.g. if you want to reuse OCaml's typechecker or
> top-level) and could not be a viable commercial product due to the
> limitations of OCaml itself.

I am not sure how it was done in OcalIDE but we have full function
signatures (we need only hover above the function). I guess if parsing
is done via another tool this would not be a problem. Could ask
the OcalIDE folks how its done.

Rgrds,
H.F

* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml Plug-in for NetBeans
@ 2008-07-26 12:44 hmf
From: hmf @ 2008-07-26 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> hmf@inescporto.pt wrote:
>

>> What I say here also goes for Richard. I am aware that a lot of time
>> has gone into learning these tools (20 years!). I am just saying that to
>> use IDEs also requires effort.
>
> I spent 35+ hours/week for 6 months on VS2005. Is that not enough
> time to learn it?

I guess it is.

>> Granted. But I am defending lowering the barrier for Ocaml use.
>
> If you are advocating IDE use for the purposes of making Ocaml
> easier for newcomers then you are in a bit of a bind. The
> people who need the IDE are the newcomers who are not capable
> of writing one and the ones with sufficient experience to write
> an Ocaml IDE are happy with what they have and are therefore
> not interested in writing one

Exactly! This is the reason why I sent the e-mail to this list in the
first place. No IDE will be useful unless seasoned users are prepared to
contribute to it.

 > (with the possible exception of
 > Jon Harrop).

Because he also thinks that such IDEs makes his life easier.
I guess if the IDE was written in OCaml he would be an active
contributor. :-)

* Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml Plug-in for NetBeans
@ 2008-07-26 12:01 hmf
From: hmf @ 2008-07-26 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

Hope not to take this too much further...

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> hmf@inescporto.pt wrote:
>
>> I am sceptical of comments such as those of Erik's (no disrespect
>> intended here).
>
> No offence taken.
>
>> I suspect these people either have not tried using
>> an IDE or simply haven't made the effort to learn to use the IDE and
>> take full advantage of it.
>
> As little as a 18 months ago I spend about 6 months maintaining
> 100k lines of mixed C++ and C# code using Visual Studio 2005,
> the IDE all the IDE fans rave about. It found the Visual Studio
> experience amazingly underwhelming; beyond tedious. The GUI hid
> details from me that I thought I needed to know and got in my
> way when I thought it should stay out of it.
>
> More recently I spend a couple of months using the Adobe Flash
> GUI development tools. Again I found this a woefully tedious
> exercise and wished for command line tools to replace the stupid
> and annoying GUI. The GUI thought it knew how I wanted to format
> my Actionscript code better than I did.
>
> The funny thing is that my preferences for command line tools was
> something I developed after my first exposure to an IDE. My first
> serios coding was done on Borland's Turbo Pascal and Turbo C IDEs
> back in the late 1980s.
>
> In the late 1990s I did a lot of FPGA development using the Xilinx
> development tools. It was the inadequacy of these tools which forced
> me back to Make because my Makefile understood the build process
> I wanted to achieve better than than the Xilinx tools. Later on
> in my FPGA design career I would do schematic entry of FPGA designs,
> export a Xilinx XNF netlist, convert the XNY netlist to VHDL using
> a utility I wrote and then run that VHDL through a simulator.
>
> This was actually a pivotal event for me because I was able to do
> better work by breaking free of the IDE which limited what I could
> do.

Ok, I assumed too much then. My apologies.

Two comments though:

a) Don't expect an IDE to provide all of the underlying functionality.
    Its just not feasible. I don't expect it.

b) I am *not* saying that IDEs don't have limitations. I am defending
   the point of view that a good IDE will *promote* Ocaml's *adoption*
   (ease of use for newbies, facilitates giving classes to students,
    allows quick prototyping by *non-experts*, etc...)

> IDEs still limit what I can do. How many IDEs allow for meta
> programming; source code compiling to programs which generate
> code which gets compiled to create the final program?

You mean create several projects, make a dependency to ensure
they are compiled correctly and in order and then call one of
those compiled applications to generate code? Hmm... I think
just the last part may be missing in the IDE I use.

> How many IDEs cater for more than one language? The thing is I use
> lots of lanaguages. At work I work on a number of projects, some
> in C, some in C++ and some in Ocaml. Doing it my way, with Linux
> as my IDE, means that apart from the compilers, everything else is
> the same. Same editor and same build system (make possibly augmented
> with the autotools).

Ok, this is not a rebuttal but... we all know C, C++, Ocaml, Haskell,
Ruby, etc, are supported in Eclipse. Granted support is not
perfect, but you can work quite comfortably.

> How many people who use multiple languages are willing to learn a
> different IDE for each language? Eclipse is not the answer either
> because however good it might be for Java its not very good for
> other langauges.

You don't. See above.

>> Which is surprising since mastering Ocaml
>> requires much effort, and all here seem to agree that the added
>> productivity of using Ocaml is worth it ;-).
>
> The same can be said for the Unix IDE, but the UNIX IDE is 100
> times more flexible and more capable than any other IDE in
> existance. I know Make well enough  to whip up a complex make
> file in minutes. I am also intimately familair with the automake/
> autoconf/libtool set. Since these tools are so flexible they
> adapt to my requirements and never force me to work the way they
> are designed.

What I say here also goes for Richard. I am aware that a lot of time
has gone into learning these tools (20 years!). I am just saying that to
use IDEs also requires effort. Of course whether this is advantageous or
not is up to you. For the newbies, students and even those that hack
as a hobby, I believe it certainly is. This is what I defend.

>> In fact mastering
>> emacs, vi, etc. with all those "modes" also requires a lot of
>> work.
>
> I don't like emacs and vi. My editor of choice for the last 13
> years has been nedit (Nirvana Editor) which has syntax highlighting
> for dozens of languages (and it easy to add new ones or modify
> existing ones), regex search/replace and macros. Its configurable
> so over the years I have bent it into the shape I  want. The same
> goes for my Unix shell.

Ok. But most IDE editor also offer most (all?) of those capabilities,
correct? Anyway, this is not the issue.

>> Why should the use of an IDE be any different?
>
> Unix is my IDE and I am reasonably certain that I can do more
> with my IDE than you can do with yours :-). By more, I mean
> more languages, more meta programming, more custom build
> options with more languages.

Granted. But I am defending lowering the barrier for Ocaml use.
Not for solving every conceivable problem that comes your way.
Remember: use the right tool to solve the problem.

> I suspect that a lot of the people who think Ocaml needs an IDE
> are people whose primay development platform is windows.

Ubuntu, before that Gentoo, before that Fedora, before that Red-hat.
Ok so before that windows NT, VMS, windows 98, windows 95,
windows 3.1 (I think), and ms-dos. So yes, I used windows quite a bit
;-).

On a final note: I believe that much of the resistance to use IDEs
also comes the following simple facts:

a) A lot of effort has gone into learning the tools used. No one wants
   to throw away all they have invested in that.

b) Use of an IDE may also signify "lock-in".

But please note: I didn't say use only the IDE. That's not possible. We
all know that. Again, I am only defending the idea that IDEs are
excellent to facilitate the use of Ocaml.

Regards,
Hugo

@ 2008-07-26  9:18 hmf
From: hmf @ 2008-07-26  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

Hi Richard,

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 12:56:26AM +0100, Jon Harrop wrote:
>> On Wednesday 23 July 2008 09:50:03 adonis28850 wrote:
>>> thanks Hugo, i know there's a Eclipse plug-in, but i would like to get it
>>> on NetBeans,so if someone could help i will thanks!
>> If I might stick my oar in: why don't the OCaml community write an IDE for
>> OCaml in OCaml using Camlp4 for parsing with throwback and LablGTK for the
>> GUI?
>
> I'm sure you know why, but because (a) it's a huge amount of work and
> (b) the sort of people who can do the work already use emacs so they
> don't need it.
>
> It'd be better to concentrate on OCaml for Eclipse (& other IDEs).
> OCaml has the parts already to make an excellent Eclipse plugin -- eg.
> camlp4, ocamldoc, cmigrep and '-dtypes/.annot'.  If Eclipse itself has
> specific problems, then fix those.
>
> Red Hat have done a bit of work packaging and fixing the OCaml Eclipse
> plugin and we'll have something to release soon(~ish).

Just curious: when you say "fixing" do you mean changing the actual
code? If so, are these contributed back to the community or do I
have to change to Fedora to get them ? 8-).

Thanks,
HF.

@ 2008-07-26  8:46 hmf
From: hmf @ 2008-07-26  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

Jon Harrop wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 July 2008 09:50:03 adonis28850 wrote:
>> thanks Hugo, i know there's a Eclipse plug-in, but i would like to get it
>> on NetBeans,so if someone could help i will thanks!
>
> If I might stick my oar in: why don't the OCaml community write an IDE for
> OCaml in OCaml using Camlp4 for parsing with throwback and LablGTK for the
> GUI?

Because writing one that is usable and complete requires a *lot* of
effort. Maybe the authors of cameleon (http://home.gna.org/cameleon/)
could also comment on the amount of work and commitment that is
required to build one of these things.

> This has long since seemed like an obvious idea to me but everyone continues
> to battle on with tools like Emacs and Eclipse that are (IMHO) horrendous.

Hmmm... if I recall correctly you mentioned one of the advantages of
using F# is its IDE (Visual Studio?). In fact code-completion seemed to
be one of the functionalities you pointed out as useful. Well, OcaIDE
has this. And much more. I figure if you believe a full blown IDE for
F# is advantageous, then it should also stand for Eclipse, Netbeans,
or any other IDE.

Mind you, I assume your "horrendous" may also have something to do with
the plug-ins quality. I believe OcalIDE is quite usable at this point in
time. So.. try it out. Join the forum and give you feedback.

BTW, I am harping on this issue because I truly believe that a good IDE
is an excellent medium for promoting the use of Ocaml.

Rgrds,
HF.

* [Caml-list] New Ocaml Plug-in for NetBeans
@ 2008-07-22 11:14 adonis28850
From: adonis28850 @ 2008-07-22 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Im developing a Ocaml Plug-in for NetBeans, it has just started , i get
support for .ml files and a very simple syntax highlighting, if some one is
interested contact with me.thanks