From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+ocaml@mega-nerd.com>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml Plug-in for NetBeans
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:07:55 +1000	[thread overview]

Jon Harrop wrote:

> On Saturday 26 July 2008 11:03:12 Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> > The same can be said for the Unix IDE, but the UNIX IDE is 100
> > times more flexible and more capable than any other IDE in
> > existance.
>
> Yet we cannot even get basic documentation about potential completions from
> any Unix development environment for OCaml.

Completions annoyed me immensely in visual studio and the Adobe's
products.

> > I know Make well enough to whip up a complex make file in minutes.
>
> Yet Make is not expressive enough so we have OMake, OCamlBuild.

I find Make expressive enough. I don't use these others.

> I assume nedit does not even have basic type throwback, let alone
> documentation throwback?

There are ways of getting this to work with nedit but I never
bothered because I don't like it.

If I need documentation I read the mli files. With bash command
line completion in an xterm I can find the one I want in a second
and I keep it open in a nedit window and then alt-tab between the
window I'm editing and the mli file I'm reading. Sometimes I stick
the two side by side.

> Diversifying to Windows has certainly shown me just how far behind Unix is in
> terms of usability, productivity and modern computing environments like GUIs.

You sound like someone who never mastered Unix, someone who never
realised that each user needs to mould Unix to their needs rather
than accepting what Unix provides as a default.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"PHP is a minor evil perpetrated and created by incompetent amateurs, whereas
Perl is a great and insidious evil perpetrated by skilled but perverted
professionals." -- Jon Ribbens