From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+ocaml@mega-nerd.com>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] New Ocaml Plug-in for NetBeans
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 22:25:10 +1000	[thread overview]

hmf@inescporto.pt wrote:

> You mean create several projects, make a dependency to ensure
> they are compiled correctly and in order and then call one of
> those compiled applications to generate code?

Yes, thats the way it would be done in VS. The way I work its
all in what I would consider a single project.

> Hmm... I think
> just the last part may be missing in the IDE I use.

I find this last part quite common for things like ocamllex/
ocamlyacc and Flex/Bison for C or C++.

> Ok, this is not a rebuttal but... we all know C, C++, Ocaml, Haskell,
> Ruby, etc, are supported in Eclipse. Granted support is not
> perfect, but you can work quite comfortably.

Personally I find Eclipse appalling. It takes forever to start
up and runs slow as a dog. It might support Java reasonably well
but I find its support for C rather poor. I haven't tried it
with other laguages.

I didn't mention having tried Eclipse before because I really
only used it for a couple of hours.

> What I say here also goes for Richard. I am aware that a lot of time
> has gone into learning these tools (20 years!). I am just saying that to
> use IDEs also requires effort.

I spent 35+ hours/week for 6 months on VS2005. Is that not enough
time to learn it?

> Ok. But most IDE editor also offer most (all?) of those capabilities,
> correct? Anyway, this is not the issue.

But the Adobe IDE was definitely different to the VS2005 one I
was using a couple of months earlier. What I really wanted was
to be using my editor, with my personalised syntax highlighting
pattern and my macros.

> Granted. But I am defending lowering the barrier for Ocaml use.

If you are advocating IDE use for the purposes of making Ocaml
easier for newcomers then you are in a bit of a bind. The
people who need the IDE are the newcomers who are not capable
of writing one and the ones with sufficient experience to write
an Ocaml IDE are happy with what they have and are therefore
not interested in writing one (with the possible exception of
Jon Harrop).

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"The X-files is too optimistic. The truth is not out there."
-- Anthony Ord