* [ANNOUNCE] virt-mem 0.2.8 has been released
@ 2008-08-06 21:30 Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2008-08-06 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

[Perhaps people wonder what I do at Red Hat.  Copied below is an
announcement of some virtualization management tools that we wrote in
OCaml.  This might be interesting to people on this list because it
heavily uses DSLs written in camlp4 and other camlp4 features such as
"Reflective OCaml".  It's also a real world program specifically
designed to be used by system administrators who, frankly, won't care
about implementation details but will only care that it works.  If you
want to find out about the many other management tools I'm writing
please go to http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/  As with all Red Hat
software, this is Free and open source, and I'd like to encourage
anyone to contribute back patches, suggestions and documentation.]

I'm pleased to announce the latest release of the virt-mem tools,
version 0.2.8.

These are tools for system administrators which let you find things
like kernel messages, process lists and network information of your
guests.

For example:

  virt-uname
    'uname' command, shows OS version, architecture, etc.
  virt-dmesg
    'dmesg' command, shows kernel messages
  virt-ps
    'ps' command, shows process list

Nothing needs to be installed in the guest for this to work, and the
tools are specifically designed to allow easy scripting and
integration with databases and monitoring systems.

Source is available from the web page here:

  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-mem/

The latest version (0.2.8) reworks the internals substantially so that
we have direct access to basically any kernel structure, and this will
allow us to quickly add the remaining features that people have asked
for (memory usage information, lists of network interfaces and so on).

As usual, patches, feedback, suggestions etc. are very welcome!

Binaries will be available in Fedora 10 (Rawhide) at some point soon.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-08-06 21:30 UTC | newest]