From: Jon Harrop <jonathandeanharrop@googlemail.com>
To: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Metaprogramming features
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 03:17:17 +0100	[thread overview]

On Friday 03 October 2008 17:01:36 David Teller wrote:
> I strongly agree with that feature request. One reason is all the code
> which is currently in Camlp4 but actually deserves the MetaOCaml
> treatment.

Most Camlp4 code is macros providing syntax extensions to OCaml that would not
benefit from run-time code generation. So what Camlp4 code are you referring
to that "deserves MetaOCaml treatment"?

> The other reason is that I believe that the Haskell vs. OCaml
> race matters.

If you want a race, forget Haskell and look at F# which already provides typed
metaprogramming with quotations, unsafe high-performance metaprogramming via
CIL and the two most valuable syntax extensions (try..finally and views) as
well as most of the key benefits of OCaml plus decent libraries and a
concurrent run-time.

IMHO, the most productive direction for OCaml right now is towards LLVM. An
LLVM backend to OCaml would facilitate some productive improvements (e.g.
free polymorphism, easy run-time code generation and dynamic linking, easy
FFI, platform independent and performant intermediate representation, extra
optimization passes for "free"). Moreover, this path can lead to completely
independent compilers that could then be free to expose their lexers,
parsers, type checkers and metaprogramming capabilities without licensing
issues.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e