From: Florent Monnier <fmonnier@linux-nantes.fr.eu.org>
To: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Translating the unix course
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:22:24 +0100	[thread overview]

> By the way each time I need to use the unix module my failing
> knowledge of system programming is relieved by the unix course of
> Leroy and Remy. This is such a good documentation of ocaml's unix
> module it's a shame it isn't available in the lingua franca of
> programmers. Apparently there have been unsucessful atempts to
> translate it [2] . If the authors wouldn't mind putting the original
> on cocan.org or ocaml-tutorial.org maybe this would eventually happen.
>
> Daniel
>
> [1] http://cristal.inria.fr/~remy/poly/system/camlunix/index.html
> [2]
> http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2004/03/31275f2948892d4add34
>5c9bbe81fea5.fr.html

I have recently read several chapters of this documentation, I found it is of
really good quality. There are no equivalent in English because most Unix doc
is for C, so while reading it I was thinking that I would be pleased to
traduct it in English (well perhaps not all because it's huge, but at least
some chapters). The result would be written in my usual poor English but then
it would be easy for an English born guy to correct it.

But unfortunatly this documentation is not GFDL released or so, it is
copyrighted so it is currently not allowed to touch it.