* LGPL Exception Question
@ 2008-04-03 23:03 Aaron Ogden
From: Aaron Ogden @ 2008-04-03 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Part of the LGPL that INRIA(and many others) use
states:
  "Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute
verbatim copies
  of this license document, but changing it is not
allowed."

If INRIA nor anyone else is not allowed to change the
LGPL, how is it that the special linking exception is legal?

* Re: [Caml-list] LGPL Exception Question
@ 2008-04-03 23:53 ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2008-04-03 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aaron_ogden_2000; +Cc: caml-list

From: Aaron Ogden <aaron_ogden_2000@yahoo.com>

> Part of the LGPL that INRIA(and many others) use
> states:
>   "Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute
> verbatim copies
>   of this license document, but changing it is not
> allowed."
>
> If INRIA nor anyone else is not allowed to change the
> LGPL, how is it that the special linking exception is legal?

You are not allowed to change the document, but you are perfectly
allowed to define your own license by adding extra clauses or
exceptions to it. This is what ocaml does: the license text is copied
verbatim, but an exception is indicated prior to it, and in each
covered file.

This is a bit like the QPL: the original must me distributed
unmodified, but patches are OK.

GCC itself does it, by introducing an exception to the GPL for libgcc.

Jacques Garrigue