* Boehm-Demers-Weiser and ocaml
@ 2009-01-16 14:46 Yitzhak Mandelbaum
From: Yitzhak Mandelbaum @ 2009-01-16 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Has anyone tried to interface ocaml code with C libraries which depend
on the BDW garbage collector? If so, are there any pitfalls to be
aware of? Note that I have a fair amount of experience interfacing
with ordinary C code, I've just never tried to do so in the presence
of the BDW gc.

Thanks,
Yitzhak
-----------------------------
Yitzhak Mandelbaum

* Re: [Caml-list] Boehm-Demers-Weiser and ocaml
@ 2009-01-16 16:00 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-01-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yitzhak Mandelbaum; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 09:46:35AM -0500, Yitzhak Mandelbaum wrote:
> Has anyone tried to interface ocaml code with C libraries which depend
> on the BDW garbage collector? If so, are there any pitfalls to be
> aware of? Note that I have a fair amount of experience interfacing
> with ordinary C code, I've just never tried to do so in the presence
> of the BDW gc.

I haven't so just speculating here ...

Can the BDW collector be told about areas of memory which it must
not examine?

There is a useful macro used inside the OCaml compiled called (IIRC?)
Is_in_heap(ptr) which can tell you if a pointer points to something on
the OCaml heap (ie. something to be ignored).

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat