* Licensing of the OCaml autoconf macros
@ 2009-01-22 11:40 Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-01-22 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: georges.mariano

Stefano Zacchiroli and I are collecting autoconf macros related to
OCaml into a central project:

  http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocaml-autoconf/
  http://git.ocamlcore.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=ocaml-autoconf/ocaml-autoconf.git;a=summary

We would like to relicense this project under a clear license so that
it can be widely used.  Personally I would prefer a simple BSD-
no-advertising license, since that ensures the widest possible use
(including commercial use) without restrictions.

So if you are one of the people listed below, and you would agree to
relicensing the macros under the 3-clause BSD license (see end of this
message), please follow-up to indicate your agreement or otherwise.

  dnl autoconf macros for OCaml
  dnl by Olivier Andrieu
  dnl from a configure.in by Jean-Christophe Filliatre,
  dnl from a first script by Georges Mariano

Rich.

Proposed license:

Copyright (c) 2000-2009, [list of contributors]

All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
met:

* Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this
list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* Neither the name of OCAMLFORGE nor the names of its contributors
may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
without specific prior written permission.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ''AS IS'' AND ANY
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
(INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON
ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
(INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] Licensing of the OCaml autoconf macros
@ 2009-01-22 16:38 ` Stefano Zacchiroli
From: Stefano Zacchiroli @ 2009-01-22 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:40:08AM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> So if you are one of the people listed below, and you would agree to
> relicensing the macros under the 3-clause BSD license (see end of this
> message), please follow-up to indicate your agreement or otherwise.

I'm not sure posting to the mailing list would work, but it was worth
a try, thanks! If we get no reply in a couple of days I'm gonna mail
privately the three involved people.

Cheers.

* Re: [Caml-list] Licensing of the OCaml autoconf macros
@ 2009-01-23 16:32 ` Olivier Andrieu
From: Olivier Andrieu @ 2009-01-23 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones, Stefano Zacchiroli; +Cc: Caml List

Hi guys,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:40, Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org> wrote:
> Stefano Zacchiroli and I are collecting autoconf macros related to
> OCaml into a central project:
>
>  http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/ocaml-autoconf/
>  http://git.ocamlcore.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=ocaml-autoconf/ocaml-autoconf.git;a=summary

that's great. Indeed those macros needed some maintenance.
I have a couple more that I'll submit through the gforge bugtracker.

> We would like to relicense this project under a clear license so that
> it can be widely used.  Personally I would prefer a simple BSD-
> no-advertising license, since that ensures the widest possible use
> (including commercial use) without restrictions.
>
> So if you are one of the people listed below, and you would agree to
> relicensing the macros under the 3-clause BSD license (see end of this
> message), please follow-up to indicate your agreement or otherwise.

fine by me !

--
  Olivier