* The new OCaml book (Objective Caml Programming Language by Tim Rentsch)
@ 2009-02-27 12:27 Richard Jones
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-02-27 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I previously mentioned this book on the list and said that I'd been
promised a review copy from the publisher:

http://www.amazon.com/Objective-Caml-Programming-Language/dp/0981599206

I received the review copy from Abscissa Press yesterday and I have
read the first few chapters.  This book is in fact the Jason Hickey
book which has been floating around on the net for a while, updated by
Tim Rentsch who I think is Jason's colleague or student.

First impressions are that it is technically solid, well formatted and
easy to read, and filled with lots of examples and exercises.

The first few chapters spend too long, IMO, on rather impractical
examples involving constructing values and interpreting types.  (The
value restriction appears in Ch.5!)  Practical examples of real code
come too late, I guess reflecting the university background of the
authors.

Nevertheless from what I've read so far I think it's a sound book for
students and for people who don't mind a slightly theoretical
introduction to the language, and I can definitely recommend it.

If anyone has any specific questions, they can catch me on IRC #ocaml
today.

Rich.

(Needless to say it's far better than the Apress book)

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] The new OCaml book (Objective Caml Programming Language by Tim Rentsch)
@ 2009-02-27 12:29 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-02-27 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:27:55PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> http://www.amazon.com/Objective-Caml-Programming-Language/dp/0981599206

BTW, in case the cover is unclear, it actually shows a space ship /
lander craft running OCaml code in the small window.  Cool :-)

Rich.

--

@ 2009-02-27 14:28 ` Tom Hutchinson
From: Tom Hutchinson @ 2009-02-27 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> I received the review copy from Abscissa Press yesterday and I have
> read the first few chapters.  This book is in fact the Jason Hickey
> book which has been floating around on the net for a while, updated by
> Tim Rentsch who I think is Jason's colleague or student.

Thanks for letting us know!

I know a people have resorted to just printing out the pdf of the
draft. Great to finally buy this in a normal form.

Never heard of the publisher though.

Tom

* Re: [Caml-list] The new OCaml book (Objective Caml Programming  Language by Tim Rentsch)
@ 2009-02-27 17:37 ` Nathaniel Gray
From: Nathaniel Gray @ 2009-02-27 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Jones; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org> wrote:
> I previously mentioned this book on the list and said that I'd been
> promised a review copy from the publisher:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Objective-Caml-Programming-Language/dp/0981599206
>
> I received the review copy from Abscissa Press yesterday and I have
> read the first few chapters.  This book is in fact the Jason Hickey
> book which has been floating around on the net for a while, updated by
> Tim Rentsch who I think is Jason's colleague or student.

As someone who *was* Jason's student, I'd suggest that if that book is
clearly derived from Jason's book but Jason's name isn't on the cover
you should definitely be asking questions about that.  I would say
more but I don't want to put words in Jason's mouth.

Cheers,
-n8

--
Nathan Gray
http://www.n8gray.org/

* Re: [Caml-list] The new OCaml book (Objective Caml Programming Language by Tim Rentsch)
@ 2009-02-27 17:42   ` Richard Jones
       [not found]     ` <aee06c9e0902271043g419a0581mf17430b55a695f2b@mail.gmail.com>
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-02-27 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Gray; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 09:37:05AM -0800, Nathaniel Gray wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org> wrote:
> > I previously mentioned this book on the list and said that I'd been
> > promised a review copy from the publisher:
> >
> > http://www.amazon.com/Objective-Caml-Programming-Language/dp/0981599206
> >
> > I received the review copy from Abscissa Press yesterday and I have
> > read the first few chapters.  This book is in fact the Jason Hickey
> > book which has been floating around on the net for a while, updated by
> > Tim Rentsch who I think is Jason's colleague or student.
>
> As someone who *was* Jason's student, I'd suggest that if that book is
> clearly derived from Jason's book but Jason's name isn't on the cover
> you should definitely be asking questions about that.  I would say
> more but I don't want to put words in Jason's mouth.

I don't think there is any suggestion that it was plagiarised from
him.  In fact I think the author mentions Jason in the introduction ...

Rich.

--

@ 2009-02-27 17:46   ` Alexy Khrabrov
From: Alexy Khrabrov @ 2009-02-27 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml

I've 1-clicked the book from Amazon the minute I saw Rich's
announcement.  It's a good reading for how the language constructs are
defined, but not too heavy on examples.  I say it complements Smith's
and Harrop's books nicely in a way of a "boring" book going through
all of the language in sequence -- something which was sorely
missing.  If you force yourself to read it in a day, you'll find new
things to old constructs when you're a an intermediate user.

Cheers,
Alexy

@ 2009-02-27 18:45       ` Nathaniel Gray
From: Nathaniel Gray @ 2009-02-27 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml

Sorry, this was meant to go to the list as well:

@ 2009-02-27 18:52         ` William Neumann
From: William Neumann @ 2009-02-27 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathaniel Gray; +Cc: Caml

The Jan. 11, 2008 pdf copy of his book says:

"This book has been submitted for publication by Cambridge University Press.
This draft may be used until the time the book appears in print"

I don't know what the current status of that publication is, however.

@ 2009-02-27 19:40   ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2009-02-27 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Friday 27 February 2009 14:28:58 Tom Hutchinson wrote:
> I know a people have resorted to just printing out the pdf of the
> draft. Great to finally buy this in a normal form.
>
> Never heard of the publisher though.

Looks like the publisher was created just to publish this book, as we created
Flying Frog to publish OCaml for Scientists four years ago.

The publishers were kind enough to send me a complimentary copy so I shall
blog a review on OCaml News in due course. Suffice to say that the content
(264 pages from the main 17 chapters) is excellent from a purely theoretical
standpoint and, I would say, targets undergrad computer scientists preparing
to sit exams about OCaml. The book covers advanced topics in detail and
contains lots of academic exercises. In particular, about a third of the book
is devoted to OCaml's approach to object oriented programming.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e

* Re: [Caml-list] The new OCaml book (Objective Caml Programming  Language by Tim Rentsch)
@ 2009-02-27 20:06           ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2009-02-27 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Friday 27 February 2009 18:52:25 William Neumann wrote:
> The Jan. 11, 2008 pdf copy of his book says:
>
> "This book has been submitted for publication by Cambridge University
> Press. This draft may be used until the time the book appears in print"
>
> I don't know what the current status of that publication is, however.

Sounds like the ideal time to concoct some conspiracy theories. Perhaps Jason
signed up with CUP for royalties and they sat on the book so Tim "remembered"
that he was actually the real author and had it published through a company
that is actually a front for Primatech paper:

  http://www.primatechpaper.com

Any takers?

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e

* Re: [Caml-list] The new OCaml book (Objective Caml Programming  Language by Tim Rentsch)
@ 2009-02-27 20:22     ` Jason Hickey
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Jason Hickey @ 2009-02-27 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Richard,

Thank you for pointing this out, I was unaware of this book.  My book
on OCaml (currently circulating as an online pdf) is under contract
with Cambridge University Press.

I haven't read Mr. Rentsch's book (I just ordered a copy from Amazon).
 I should point out that I have neither authorized nor endorsed Mr.
Rentsch's book, nor have I given permission to use any text that I
have written.  It would be heartbreaking to me if this work were to be
published without my permission -- I started writing in 2000, and the
text has been through many classes and much writing.  I must assume
Tim wrote his text independently.  Still, I look forward to seeing a
copy.

Jason

@ 2009-02-27 21:34       ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2009-02-27 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Friday 27 February 2009 20:22:04 Jason Hickey wrote:
> Thank you for pointing this out, I was unaware of this book.  My book
> on OCaml (currently circulating as an online pdf) is under contract
> with Cambridge University Press.

When will CUP publish it?

> I haven't read Mr. Rentsch's book (I just ordered a copy from Amazon).
>  I should point out that I have neither authorized nor endorsed Mr.
> Rentsch's book, nor have I given permission to use any text that I
> have written.  It would be heartbreaking to me if this work were to be
> published without my permission -- I started writing in 2000, and the
> text has been through many classes and much writing.  I must assume
> Tim wrote his text independently.  Still, I look forward to seeing a
> copy.

Oh dear. Then I am very sorry to tell you that Tim Rentsch's book is virtually
identical to your own, having been tweaked just enough to evade copyright.

I am just comparing your PDF with the free copy Abscissa Press sent me and it
is almost a verbatim replica right down to errors in your text and parts of
code examples that you chose at random (e.g. all of the example expressions
involving chars and strings are literally identical to those from your book).

@ 2009-02-27 21:48         ` Dario Teixeira
From: Dario Teixeira @ 2009-02-27 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, Jon Harrop

Hi,

> Oh dear. Then I am very sorry to tell you that Tim Rentsch's book is
> virtually identical to your own, having been tweaked just enough to
> evade copyright.

Should this be confirmed (namely by Jason Hickey himself), the comments
section at Amazon and other online stores may prove useful in pointing
people to Jason's book instead (once it comes out)...

Cheers,
Dario Teixeira

* Re: [Caml-list] The new OCaml book (Objective Caml Programming Language by Tim Rentsch)
@ 2009-02-27 23:29           ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-02-27 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Neumann; +Cc: Nathaniel Gray, Caml

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:52:25PM -0600, William Neumann wrote:
> The Jan. 11, 2008 pdf copy of his book says:
>
> "This book has been submitted for publication by Cambridge University Press.
> This draft may be used until the time the book appears in print"
>
> I don't know what the current status of that publication is, however.

Well that was probably before CUP decided to lay off 150 staff:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/7890037.stm

Rich.

--

@ 2009-02-27 23:34       ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-02-27 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Hickey; +Cc: caml-list

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:22:04PM -0800, Jason Hickey wrote:
> Thank you for pointing this out, I was unaware of this book.  My book
> on OCaml (currently circulating as an online pdf) is under contract
> with Cambridge University Press.
>
> I haven't read Mr. Rentsch's book (I just ordered a copy from Amazon).
>  I should point out that I have neither authorized nor endorsed Mr.
> Rentsch's book, nor have I given permission to use any text that I
> have written.  It would be heartbreaking to me if this work were to be
> published without my permission -- I started writing in 2000, and the
> text has been through many classes and much writing.  I must assume
> Tim wrote his text independently.  Still, I look forward to seeing a
> copy.

Right, I just read this - so ignore my comment(s) in the other threads.

This is definitely entering into the world of strange.

The "Tim Rentsch" book is, seemingly, an updated copy of the Jason
Hickey draft that has been floating around on the internet.
Unauthorized, it would seem.

Rich.

--

@ 2009-02-28 14:19         ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2009-02-28 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Friday 27 February 2009 21:34:35 Jon Harrop wrote:
> Oh dear. Then I am very sorry to tell you that Tim Rentsch's book is
> virtually identical to your own, having been tweaked just enough to evade
> copyright.

Actually the later chapters (about a third of the main text) are entirely
different.

@ 2009-02-28 17:52       ` Tim Rentsch
From: Tim Rentsch @ 2009-02-28 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I should add one more thing, which is, I do subscribe to the caml-list
email list, but lately I've been busy with other things and haven't
been reading it.  Since this topic has come up obviously I plan on
starting reading it again, and also reviewing recent messages to
see if any others should be responded to.  I should be starting
that review sometime later today, and responding (if necessary)
over the next day or so, depending on what's been posted.