* options to write a cross-platform interacting program in OCaml
@ 2009-03-10 16:28 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2009-03-10 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

I am looking at what options there are to rewrite camlgrenouille, a
small client for www.grenouille.com that I wrote a while ago, to make
it more modular (to allow an external UI to the core program) and
cross-platform (Unix and Windows).

In a nutshell, this program periodically runs some tests. Right now
its interaction with the outside is fairly limited: the only thing one
can do is ask it to quit (by doing a ctrl-c which is caught so as to
clean up before actually quitting). I would like to be able to send it
more complex commands, which would be driven by a UI separate from the
program.

The simplest approach seems to be using a socket and a select call
(with a timeout corresponding to the delay until the next test), but I
was wondering if there were other options based on threads. For
instance, could I use lwt under Windows?

Thanks for any suggestion,

Alan