From: Andrey Riabushenko <cdome@bk.ru>
To: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Google summer of Code proposal
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:39:45 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi OCaml hackers,

It is not mistake, in spite of ocaml does not take part in GSoC 2009, but
ocaml community still can benefit from it.

I would like to develop LLVM frontend to Ocaml language. LLVM  does
participate in GSoC. LLVM do not mind to developed a ocaml frontend as LLVM
GSoC project. I want to discuss details with you before I will make an
official proposal to LLVM.

1.What is the best way to make ocaml frontend on your opinion?

I think the best would to way to develop ocaml llvm front end as a part of
ocaml distribution. I don't not want to develop yet another a separate
project, which is half-done llvm frontend that nobody uses. There are plenty
of those for other languages lying around. I propose to forget about JIT
capabilities of LLVM and concentrate on AOT compilation for now.

Ocamlopt currently generates native assembler for the following platforms:
i386, AMD64, ia64, arm, hppa, alpha, m68k, mips, powerpc, sparc assembler.
I propose to add LLVM assembler generation as another platform to ocamlopt. It
requires the least modification of ocaml source and easy to maintain. LLVM
will give ocaml an aggressive whole program optimizer and will make possible
to run ocaml on new platforms that are supported by LLVM, but not yet by
Ocaml.

Question to the Ocaml creators and maintainers.
2. Will you merge LLVM platform to the ocaml trunk assuming that it works as
it should?

Andrey Riabushenko
PhD student,
Faculty of applied mathematics
National technical university of Ukraine "KPI"
http://kpi.ua/en/