From: Richard Jones <rich@annexia.org>
To: Florian Hars <hars@bik-gmbh.de>
Cc: Jean Guyader <jean.guyader@gmail.com>, caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] 64 bits ocamlopt to generate 32 bits code
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 22:08:13 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 12:02:53AM +0200, Florian Hars wrote:
> Jean Guyader wrote:
> >Is it possible to generate 32 bits assembly code with a 64 bits ocamlopt?
>
> If you are adventurous, you might be able to set up a cross compilation
> environment, look at the PowerPC 405 thread from a few days ago for
> ideas.

OCaml 3.11.0 isn't really set up to do cross-compilation.  For the
Fedora Windows cross-compiler (which targets 32 bit Windows only at
present) we build a 32 bit Linux native compiler first, even if the
build arch is 64 bit.  Ugly details here:

http://hg.et.redhat.com/cgi-bin/hg-misc.cgi/fedora-mingw--devel/file/3a93f6f65967/ocaml/mingw32-ocaml.spec#l100

The changes required to make OCaml a true cross-compiler would be
quite deep, and if I had 3 or 4 clear weeks I would love to come up
with a good set of patches to do this and submit them back to INRIA.
Unfortunately I haven't got 3 or 4 free days never mind weeks at the
moment ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones