* Caml on CentOS: problem with -custom option
@ 2009-06-09  8:31 Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2009-06-09  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear all,

When trying to compile a program with the -custom option on a CentOS,
the following error is reported:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurses
This seems to be in relation with -custom, because the error disappears
if the same command is given without this flag.
Does anybody know what is going wrong ?

thanks much in advance for any help.
Sébastien.

* Re: [Caml-list] Caml on CentOS: problem with -custom option
@ 2009-06-09 12:17 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-06-09 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 10:31:03AM +0200, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> When trying to compile a program with the -custom option on a CentOS,
> the following error is reported:
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurses
> This seems to be in relation with -custom, because the error disappears
> if the same command is given without this flag.
> Does anybody know what is going wrong ?

Please open a bug in Red Hat's Bugzilla: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/

You will also need to provide far more details, such as precise
versions of the packages you are using, and a short case that
reproduces the error.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] Caml on CentOS: problem with -custom option
@ 2009-06-09 14:01   ` Sébastien Hinderer
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2009-06-09 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, caml-list

RHI Rich, and thanks a lot for your repl.

> Please open a bug in Red Hat's Bugzilla: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/

Actually CentOS has a distinct one at http://bugs.centos.org/
but the account creation page is not accessible: one has to enter a code
that appears in an image...

> You will also need to provide far more details, such as precise
> versions of the packages you are using, and a short case that
> reproduces the error.

I may end up re-compiling Caml by myself. Not very clean but much
faster.

Just out of curiosity: does anybody see what could cause the -lcurses
flag to be present when -custom is specified ?

Best wishes and thanks again for helping,

@ 2009-06-09 14:31     ` Stéphane Glondu
From: Stéphane Glondu @ 2009-06-09 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Sébastien Hinderer a écrit :
> Just out of curiosity: does anybody see what could cause the -lcurses
> flag to be present when -custom is specified ?

OCaml has probably been compiled this way. You can see configure options
in `ocamlc -where`/Makefile.config.

I guess this is just a trivial packaging bug (probably a missing
dependency to whatever provides the curses library).

The problem doesn't happen without -custom because there is no linking
(using ld) involved.

Cheers,

--
Stéphane

* Re: [Caml-list] Caml on CentOS: problem with -custom option
@ 2009-06-09 14:39     ` Olivier Andrieu
From: Olivier Andrieu @ 2009-06-09 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, caml-list

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 16:01, Sébastien
Hinderer<Sebastien.Hinderer@ens-lyon.org> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity: does anybody see what could cause the -lcurses
> flag to be present when -custom is specified ?

the ocaml bytecode runtime includes some functions that uses curses so
that the compiler can display improved error messages on terminals.
The ocamlrun bytecode interpreter is thus linked with -lcurses. When
you use -custom, your executable includes the bytecode runtime and
gets the -lcurses flag.

The configure script has a -no-curses option to disable this.

--
  Olivier

* Re: [Caml-list] Caml on CentOS: problem with -custom option
@ 2009-06-09 16:02       ` Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2009-06-09 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, caml-list

Hi Stéphane, Olivier and all,

> I guess this is just a trivial packaging bug (probably a missing
> dependency to whatever provides the curses library).

Yes. The caml package should depend on xmlsec1-openssl-devel.x86_64.
Once this package is installed -custom works just fine.

Thanks for helping out with this issue,

@ 2009-06-09 16:47     ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-06-09 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, caml-list

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 04:01:00PM +0200, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:
> RHI Rich, and thanks a lot for your repl.
>
> > Please open a bug in Red Hat's Bugzilla: http://bugzilla.redhat.com/
>
> Actually CentOS has a distinct one at http://bugs.centos.org/
> but the account creation page is not accessible: one has to enter a code
> that appears in an image...

CentOS don't manage the OCaml packages - we do it in the context of
the Red Hat-sponsored EPEL project.  Filing a bug with CentOS won't
help to get the bug fixed.

There shouldn't be any accessibility issue with Red Hat's bugzilla.  I
just opened a new account to check.  So please file a bug there:

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/

Rich.

--
Richard Jones