* Compiling shared library with libasmrun.a
@ 2009-12-27 10:13 Eric M. Hielscher
From: Eric M. Hielscher @ 2009-12-27 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi all,

As discussed in a few places on this list, I'm trying to compile a
shared library which includes both C and OCaml code.  Specifically,
I'm trying to do the following:

- I have a proprietary language X's interpreter which allows me to
link into it C shared libraries
- I've written C wrappers for OCaml functions which expose the OCaml
functions to X via X's library interface
- I've written OCaml functions which do the meat of what I want

Thus the pipeline is: Ocaml + C = shared library, and then shared
library gets linked into X.

The problem I'm having, on an AMD64 architecture, is that I can't seem
to create a shared library which links to libasmrun.a as the default
setup compiles libasmrun.a without the -fPIC option, and thus the
resultant library has non-position-independent code.

In discussions with another guy who's had the same problem, I've tried
altering the Makefile in the asmrun directory to have the -fPIC option
included as well as inserting PLT directives in some places in the
amd64.S file, but I'm still getting the error that libasmrun.a
contains non-position-independent code.  The error message looks like
this:

/usr/bin/ld: ../ocaml/lib/ocaml/libasmrun.a(amd64.o): relocation
R_X86_64_PC32 against `caml_last_return_address' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

which makes it seem as though amd64.o includes the bad code, though I
verified that amd64.o was compiled as follows:

gcc -c -fPIC -DSYS_linux -o amd64.o amd64.S

Any ideas on how to get a working libasmrun.a for my situation?

Cheers,
--
Eric Hielscher

"Het zal me worst wezen."

http://ehielscher.org

* Fwd: Compiling shared library with libasmrun.a
@ 2009-12-27 10:16 ` Eric M. Hielscher
From: Eric M. Hielscher @ 2009-12-27 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

[...]

* Re: [Caml-list] Compiling shared library with libasmrun.a
@ 2009-12-29 12:27 ` Richard Jones
From: Richard Jones @ 2009-12-29 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric M. Hielscher; +Cc: caml-list

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 12:13:23PM +0200, Eric M. Hielscher wrote:
> which makes it seem as though amd64.o includes the bad code, though I
> verified that amd64.o was compiled as follows:
>
> gcc -c -fPIC -DSYS_linux -o amd64.o amd64.S
>
> Any ideas on how to get a working libasmrun.a for my situation?

I think you've hit this bug:

http://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=4795

Probably would get fixed faster if someone would work out the
assembler hoops required to generate PIC code on x86-64 and then post
a patch to the bug.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones