* ocamldebug: User-defined printers for abstract data types?
@ 2010-03-27 11:45 Stefan Ratschan
From: Stefan Ratschan @ 2010-03-27 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

The ocamldebug manual entry for load_printer says: "The loaded file does
not have direct access to the modules of the program being debugged."

So I have to put the whole printer definition into the loaded file. But
then, how can one write a printer for abstract data types? External
files do not have access to those.

Stefan Ratschan

* Re: [Caml-list] ocamldebug: User-defined printers for abstract data types?
@ 2010-03-27 12:58 ` Florent.Ouchet
From: Florent.Ouchet @ 2010-03-27 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

The printing of Big_int is possible and AFAIK Big_int is an abstract
data type.

The following code is part of DebugPrinter.ml in VSYML [1]:

(** custom debug printer for big_int values (why is it missing in
vanilla ocaml?)
   @param value_big_int the value to be printed
   @return unit *)
let print_big_int (value_big_int:Big_int.big_int) =
   Format.printf "%s" (Big_int.string_of_big_int value_big_int);;

And it is loaded by the following commands in the debugger:
load_printer build/debug/DebugPrinter.cmo
install_printer DebugPrinter.print_big_int

[1] VSYML VHDL Symbolic Simulator in OCaml
http://users-tima.imag.fr/vds/ouchet/vsyml.ml

- Florent