From: "Oliver Bandel" <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>
To: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] The course on Unix System programming in OCaml is translated
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 15:45:08 +0200	[thread overview]

Zitat von "Daniel Bünzli" <daniel.buenzli@erratique.ch>:

> Hello,
>
> It is my pleasure to announce that Xavier Leroy and Didier Rémy's
> course on Unix system programming in Objective Caml is now available
> in english at this address :
>
> http://ocamlunix.forge.ocamlcore.org/
[...]

Fine, thanks to all people who made this possible. :-)

Just yesterday night I did some Python-Programming and
wished I had started the stuff in OCaml (because of the type
checking as well as other reasons).... but I need to do more
Python at work... a reason why I chosed it (to have more Python
practising).

Sadly the argument against OCaml at work is, that I'm the only one who
knows it... and also that I'm working there as external person (freelancer).
So, if I leave, they think theys will have problems. (They will not
have, because the code works well. :))

In one tool I used OCaml there... but they want to understand the Code,
so I will be urged to use C or Python in the future.

Nevertheless from time to time I do some OCaml coding,
but that only for my own stuff, not at work.

To have a paper to point at, makes it more easy
to show it to people, when trying to convince them to use OCaml. :)

Otherwise, one always must refer to C and the according manpages...
...and then translate all that into OCaml programming.

...so, I hope that new document will make things better in this respect.
It would be much more fun to use OCaml for a lot of tasks, even if
Python has the one big advantage of the huge amount of libraries.

Maybe just writing wrappers from C-libs to OCaml would give OCaml
more libraries; I would prefer pure OCaml stuff, but maybe just to
get many libs accessible, wrappers/bindings would help here in a rather
short time.

Saying that, I would like to mention a wish:

     The next paper, that I wish to find,
     would be a detailed document on the OCaml <-> C-Interface.
     Some things are not 100% clear to me, so if
     Xavier Leroy and Didier Rémy are looking for something they could
     elaborate on, I would absolutely prefer that topic!

Ciao,
    Oliver