From: "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones@redhat.com>
To: Paul Steckler <Paul.Steckler@nicta.com.au>
Cc: "caml-list@yquem.inria.fr" <caml-list@yquem.inria.fr>
Subject: Re: Multi-threaded programs using MinGW x-compiler
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 11:03:44 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:39:07AM +1000, Paul Steckler wrote:
> At least with the Fedora distribution of that compiler, there's a
> libthreadsnat.a, but it's missing some symbols.  The source for that
> library assumes the availability of pthreads and Unix-style signals
> on the target.  There is a pthreads library for MingGW, but there
> isn't a complete emulation of signals on Windows.  So I think
> another approach is needed.

Likely what's happening here is the configure script that we run
(under Fedora of course) is detecting pthreads.  We go through various
hoops to modify the output of the configure script to suite Windows
defaults, since the upstream configure script knows nothing about
cross-compilation.  However we probably didn't adjust the threading
model, because I tend to avoid threads, and in any case this cross-
compiler was more of a technology demonstration than something you'd
necessarily want to use regularly.

The real solution is to get the changes we've already made upstream,
and get the upstream configure script to understand cross-compilation
properly (especially that sizeof(int) on the host != sizeof(int) on
the target).

This is a lot of work, and I don't have the time now, what with the
RHEL 6 crunch happening.

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html