From: Vincent Balat <vincent.balat@pps.jussieu.fr>
To: caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Cc: Michael Ekstrand <michael@elehack.net>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] web server interface for Ocaml ( like rack, wsgi, ...)?
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 01:55:45 +0200	[thread overview]

> Running Eliom over OCamlNet lets it integrate a bit more closely with a
> third-party web server via FastCGI.  Standard functions such as absolute
> URL construction and SSL checking that depend on the host, port, and
> connection type have a knack for breaking when run behind a reverse
> proxy.

That is not really true for Eliom, as the programmer never writes the URLs
himself and Eliom does this cleanly with the right information (actually all
URLs are relative, except for switching from http to https or redirections.
And in that case the host and port are taken from the config file).

About Eliom, Ocsigen server and fastCGI:

 - Writing a version of Eliom working with fastCGI is theoretically possible,
even if it is probably a huge work. I recommand to wait for version 2 of Eliom
(in a few months) as there are many new features. But once again I'm not
convinced at all that it is interesting.

 - Writing a fastCGI extension for Ocsigen server should be quite easy to do
for someone used to LWT programming. Extending Ocsigen server is very simple.
That is not in our plans for the next months, as we are currently
concentrating a lot on Eliom 2. A contribution would be welcome. We can also
probably take in charge the development if someone wants to pay for it.

Vincent