From: oliver <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>
To: "Stéphane Glondu" <steph@glondu.net>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] Fatal error: exception Pcre.Error(0)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:39:56 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 08:53:56PM +0100, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
> Le 22/12/2011 19:39, oliver a écrit :
> > where is there a documentation about these kind of errors from pcre-lib?
> > I'm using Pcre.pmatch, which should just give me a bool.
>
> See pcre.mli. Pcre.Error(0) is the raw representation of Partial (i.e.
> string only matched the pattern partially).
[...]

In my pcre.mli this error is not mentioned.

There is a

type error =
  | Partial  (** String only matched the pattern partially *)
  | BadPartial  (** Pattern contains items that cannot be used together
                    with partial matching. *)
  | BadPattern of string * int  (** [BadPattern (msg, pos)] regular
                                    expression is malformed.  The reason
                                    is in [msg], the position of the
                                    error in the pattern in [pos]. *)
  | BadUTF8  (** UTF8 string being matched is invalid *)
  | BadUTF8Offset  (** Gets raised when a UTF8 string being matched with
                       offset is invalid. *)
  | MatchLimit  (** Maximum allowed number of match attempts with
                    backtracking or recursion is reached during matching.
                    ALL FUNCTIONS CALLING THE MATCHING ENGINE MAY RAISE
                    IT!!! *)
  | RecursionLimit
  | InternalError of string
      (** [InternalError msg] C-library exhibits unknown/undefined
          behaviour.  The reason is in [msg]. *)

Which also mentioned a partial-match error.
But Pcre.Error(0) looks somehow cryptical
and strange to me.

Maybe that old version is just too old.

> By the way, in doubt, you can catch Pcre.Error and pattern-match on its
> argument.

Yes, I think that makes sense.
But Pcre.Error(0) is not very verbose, and I also want to know
what I catch and why...

Installing a newer pcre was easy, but then my build process complains
about multiple stublibs-directories. So I threw it away.
So maybe it's better to change the apt-get stuff instead.

(I also tried to create a pcre-ocaml PKGBUILD for Arch Linux, but
 I would need to fake the install-drectories, so that it would install
locally inside the fakeroot... any ideas on that?)

Ciao,
   Oliver