* [Caml-list] Need help for a practical hacking book about ocaml
@ 2011-12-24 21:55 bobzhang
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: bobzhang @ 2011-12-24 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi, all,
   I was writing(or collecting)  a hacking book about ocaml, now it's
already more than 100 pages :-)
  I would help to contribute it for free to the ocaml comunity.  Anyone
would like
 to help it?
 I put it here  http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~hongboz/master.pdf

 My book mainly focus on how to make ocaml programmers more productive,
quite different from other existing books. Btw, I collected a lot online
resources, anyone can tell me how to credit them?

 I have been digging haskell, ocaml, lisp for several years, honestly
speaking, I found ocaml is still the most productive language.

Many thanks

* Re: [Caml-list] Need help for a practical hacking book about ocaml
@ 2011-12-25  1:25 ` Alex Rubinsteyn
From: Alex Rubinsteyn @ 2011-12-25  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bobzhang, Caml List

This looks good, though it could benefit from some more exposition and
editing. Any chance you'll put what you've already written in a wiki? That
would make it easier for other OCaml programmers to contribute.

--Alex

@ 2011-12-25  1:38   ` bob zhang
From: bob zhang @ 2011-12-25  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Rubinsteyn; +Cc: Caml List

Thanks.
Sure. I can publish it to github.
I write the documentation using latex, I tried to  export it as html file
using hevea, but it does not work unfortunately..

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Alex Rubinsteyn
<alex.rubinsteyn@gmail.com>wrote:

> This looks good, though it could benefit from some more exposition and
> editing. Any chance you'll put what you've already written in a wiki? That
> would make it easier for other OCaml programmers to contribute.
>
> --Alex
>
> 2011/12/24 bobzhang <bobzhang1988@gmail.com>
>
>> Hi, all,
>>   I was writing(or collecting)  a hacking book about ocaml, now it's
>> already more than 100 pages :-)
>>  I would help to contribute it for free to the ocaml comunity.  Anyone
>> would like
>>  to help it?
>>  I put it here  http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~hongboz/master.pdf
>>
>>  My book mainly focus on how to make ocaml programmers more productive,
>> quite different from other existing books. Btw, I collected a lot online
>> resources, anyone can tell me how to credit them?
>>
>>  I have been digging haskell, ocaml, lisp for several years, honestly
>> speaking, I found ocaml is still the most productive language.
>>
>> Many thanks
>>

>> --

Best, bob

* Re: [Caml-list] Need help for a practical hacking book about ocaml
@ 2011-12-25  3:11 ` oliver
From: oliver @ 2011-12-25  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bobzhang; +Cc: caml-list

Hello,

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 04:55:26PM -0500, bobzhang wrote:
[...]
>  My book mainly focus on how to make ocaml programmers more productive,
> quite different from other existing books.
[...]

A good idea.

[...]
>  I have been digging haskell, ocaml, lisp for several years, honestly
> speaking, I found ocaml is still the most productive language.
[...]

You could put the above paragraph into the preface.
And mention, that even you found OCaml to be the most
productive language, you even want to become more productive,
and that was the reason for your book... (that's what I understood).

Maybe you could elaborate a littlebid more about why you
think that OCaml is most productive.
It's of course also my conclusion from looking at a lot of languages.
But you might be better in explaining it.

You asked for help.
Can you specify more detailed, which kind of help you are looking for?

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] Need help for a practical hacking book about ocaml
@ 2011-12-25  3:56   ` bob zhang
From: bob zhang @ 2011-12-25  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oliver; +Cc: caml-list

Thanks.

About why ocaml is more productive, probably my explanation will cause a
flaming war,  so
correct me if I am wrong.

Of course, I understand monad, arrow, frp, TH, ST monad or other topics in
haskell, but that
does not really help solve the *real wolrd problems*. And laziness/purity
is really a big hurt.

I think what helps is we could share our tricks programming with ocaml,
some nice tricks or
techniques really help boost productivity. For example, I wrote a tiny
toplevel library (like hoogle
for haskell), I found it really helps.

My experience in ocaml limited,  and the documentation of ocaml is really
lacking, so I think sharing
will help the small community.

I wrote the docs using latex, I digged muse tonight, I can htmlized it, if
that could help sharing.
I would publish it to github after Christmas.

Merry XMas :-)

--
Best, bob

* Re: [Caml-list] Need help for a practical hacking book about ocaml
@ 2011-12-25 12:15 ` rixed
From: rixed @ 2011-12-25 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

-[ Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 04:55:26PM -0500, bobzhang ]----
> Hi, all,
>    I was writing(or collecting)  a hacking book about ocaml, now it's
> already more than 100 pages :-)
>   I would help to contribute it for free to the ocaml comunity.  Anyone
> would like to help it?
>  I put it here  http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~hongboz/master.pdf

This is great, although I'd like you to make the tex sources available
on something like github or gitorious so that it's easier to contribute
things to (but you keep control of the overall organisation so that it
stays organized and searchable as a book instead of as a wiki as
suggested).

>  My book mainly focus on how to make ocaml programmers more productive,
> quite different from other existing books.

I started a small book on OCaml myself some time ago, when I was teaching me
the language, focused on how to switch from C to OCaml (how to use modules, how
to live with a GC, how the runtime works internally, and how to mix OCaml and
C). I could translate it from French ascii to English tex and add the required
diagrams, and contribute it if you are interested?