From: "AUGER Cédric" <sedrikov@gmail.com>
To: oliver <oliver@first.in-berlin.de>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] "Modules Matter Most"
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:46:49 +0100	[thread overview]

Le Mon, 27 Feb 2012 15:38:09 +0100,
oliver <oliver@first.in-berlin.de> a écrit :

> Hello,
>

> this article I like.
> I also have experienced, that thinking in types
> (or: thinking in signatures) give a big advantage
> on planning a program, and later implementing it.
>
> Types make things very clear: you know what is input
> and what output and how things need to fit tigether,
> and what kind of signature is needed to maybe fill
> a gap between an input and an output module... just look
> at the missing link as a signature.
>
> Thie article also mentiones modules as a key point
> of OCaml, and I fully agree here:
>
>   Modules Matter Most
>     http://existentialtype.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/modules-matter-most/
>

> Ciao,
>    Oliver

I find the posts on this blogs too much Ocaml biased. Ok, haskell has
not modules and it is somewhat missing, but using TypeFamilies, you can
emulate modules (and even 1st order modules which are available in Ocaml
only since 3.11 or 3.12), and in the other hand there is still not yet
any convenient way to have type classes in Ocaml. And it is not very
often that I would like to implement a module where a simple type class
wouldn't fit.

Are type classes planned in the future (and if not, what are the
reasons not to have it)?.