* [Caml-list] Unix.single_write, doc and atomicity
@ 2012-06-06 13:06 rixed
From: rixed @ 2012-06-06 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I was reading the code for unix_single_write recently, and noticed two strange
things that I prefer to discuss here before filling the bug tracker with
dubious tickets.

First, the doc of Unix.single_write claims that this function "attemps to write
only once", although the underlying unix_single_write C function clearly loops
around a write if the buffer being written is larger than the internal buffer
(16K).  So if one large buffer is written and an error happens after the first
16K then the written file is now corrupt. Looks like a bug. At the very least,
the documentation should state that single_write can write atomicaly only
buffer smaller than 16K. But I'd prefer a solution based on dynamic memory
allocation for the required iobuf.

Then, while we are on atomicity, another annoying thing: as the giant lock is
released during the write some other thread may perform another single_write on
the same file handler and again if the written buffers are larger than 16K the
simultaneous write loop may interleave the written chunks. In other words, the
nice atomicity properties of unix files opened with O_APPEND flag no longer
holds. Although the doc does not pretend that the writes will be atomic in this
situation, this is quite sad.

So this boils down to : unix_single_write really should perform a single write!
What do you think?

* Re: [Caml-list] Unix.single_write, doc and atomicity
@ 2012-06-06 13:17 ` Török Edwin
From: Török Edwin @ 2012-06-06 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rixed; +Cc: caml-list

On 06/06/2012 04:06 PM, rixed@happyleptic.org wrote:
> I was reading the code for unix_single_write recently, and noticed two strange
> things that I prefer to discuss here before filling the bug tracker with
> dubious tickets.
>
> First, the doc of Unix.single_write claims that this function "attemps to write
> only once", although the underlying unix_single_write C function clearly loops
> around a write if the buffer being written is larger than the internal buffer
> (16K).

Are we looking at the same file / function?
The one that loops is unix_write, I don't see any loops in unix_single_write:

CAMLprim value unix_single_write(value fd, value buf, value vofs, value vlen)
{
  long ofs, len;
  int numbytes, ret;
  char iobuf[UNIX_BUFFER_SIZE];

  Begin_root (buf);
    ofs = Long_val(vofs);
    len = Long_val(vlen);
    ret = 0;
    if (len > 0) {
      numbytes = len > UNIX_BUFFER_SIZE ? UNIX_BUFFER_SIZE : len;
      memmove (iobuf, &Byte(buf, ofs), numbytes);
      enter_blocking_section();
      ret = write(Int_val(fd), iobuf, numbytes);
      leave_blocking_section();
      if (ret == -1) uerror("single_write", Nothing);
    }
  End_roots();
  return Val_int(ret);

> So this boils down to : unix_single_write really should perform a single write!

AFAICT it does only a single write.

Best regards,
--Edwin

* Re: [Caml-list] Unix.single_write, doc and atomicity
@ 2012-06-06 13:29   ` oliver
From: oliver @ 2012-06-06 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Török Edwin; +Cc: rixed, caml-list

Hello,

single_write-docs say:

  "Same as write, but attempts to write only once. Thus, if an error occurs,
  single_write guarantees that no data has been written."

Attempts does not mean guarantee.
If it fails, it will give an error.

But I wonder if
  "Thus, if an error occurs, single_write guarantees that no data has been written."
is correct for all devices and situations.

It may also be possible to write less bytes than one wants.
In this case "guarantees that no data has been written"
seems to be violated.

For these cases, the docs need to be corrected.

More precise IMHO would be:

  "If no error occured, all data has been written sucessfully in one attempt."

Ciao,
   Oliver

@ 2012-06-06 13:34   ` rixed
From: rixed @ 2012-06-06 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

-[ Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 04:17:02PM +0300, Török Edwin ]----
> Are we looking at the same file / function?
> The one that loops is unix_write, I don't see any loops in unix_single_write:

Of course I was not reading the good one. Too many open terminals I guess.
Sorry for the noise.

* Re: [Caml-list] Unix.single_write, doc and atomicity
@ 2012-06-16 23:11 ` Goswin von Brederlow
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2012-06-16 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rixed; +Cc: caml-list

rixed@happyleptic.org writes:

> I was reading the code for unix_single_write recently, and noticed two strange
> things that I prefer to discuss here before filling the bug tracker with
> dubious tickets.
>
> First, the doc of Unix.single_write claims that this function "attemps to write
> only once", although the underlying unix_single_write C function clearly loops
> around a write if the buffer being written is larger than the internal buffer
> (16K).  So if one large buffer is written and an error happens after the first
> 16K then the written file is now corrupt. Looks like a bug. At the very least,
> the documentation should state that single_write can write atomicaly only
> buffer smaller than 16K. But I'd prefer a solution based on dynamic memory
> allocation for the required iobuf.
>
> Then, while we are on atomicity, another annoying thing: as the giant lock is
> released during the write some other thread may perform another single_write on
> the same file handler and again if the written buffers are larger than 16K the
> simultaneous write loop may interleave the written chunks. In other words, the
> nice atomicity properties of unix files opened with O_APPEND flag no longer
> holds. Although the doc does not pretend that the writes will be atomic in this
> situation, this is quite sad.
>
> So this boils down to : unix_single_write really should perform a single write!
> What do you think?

As others have said you were reading the wrong function.

But you do have a point with the copying of data in 16K chunkd and
writing them out in bits and pices. This destroys the atomicity of write
(as far as it is given at all, pipes garanty only 4k atomic writes under
linux). Also the copying is a waste of cpu power.

There is a nice solution to this: Bigarray. The data part of a Bigarray
is allocated from outside the ocaml heap and is unmovable. That means
that C code can look up the address and size of the data, release the
runtime system and write the data in the background without having to
copy it first. The extunix module (http://extunix.forge.ocamlcore.org/)
has bindings for read, write, pread and pwrite functions with Bigarrays
that retain all the atomicity the systemcalls provide.

Extunix also provides read, write, pread and pwrite functions for
strings with better defined behaviour on error:

(** [all_write fd buf ofs len] writes up to [len] bytes from file
    descriptor [fd] into the string [buf] at offset [ofs].

    [all_write] repeats the write operation until all characters have
    been written or an error occurs. Returns less than the number of
    characters requested on EAGAIN, EWOULDBLOCK but never 0. Continues
    the write operation on EINTR. Raises an Unix.Unix_error exception
    in all other cases. *)
external unsafe_all_write: Unix.file_descr -> string -> int -> int -> int = "caml_extunix_all_write"

let all_write fd buf ofs len =
  if ofs < 0 || len < 0 || ofs > String.length buf - len
  then invalid_arg "ExtUnix.all_write"
  else unsafe_all_write fd buf ofs len

(** [single_write fd buf ofs len] writes up to [len] bytes from file
    descriptor [fd] into the string [buf] at offset [ofs].

    [single_write] attempts to write only once. Returns the number of
    characters written or raises an Unix.Unix_error exception. *)
external unsafe_single_write: Unix.file_descr -> string -> int -> int -> int = "caml_extunix_single_write"

let single_write fd buf ofs len =
  if ofs < 0 || len < 0 || ofs > String.length buf - len
  then invalid_arg "ExtUnix.single_write"
  else unsafe_single_write fd buf ofs len

(** [write fd buf ofs len] writes up to [len] bytes from file
    descriptor [fd] into the string [buf] at offset [ofs].

    [write] repeats the write operation until all characters have
    been written or an error occurs. Raises an Unix.Unix_error exception
    if 0 characters could be written before an error occurs. Continues
    the write operation on EINTR. Returns the number of characters
    written in all other cases. *)
external unsafe_write: Unix.file_descr -> string -> int -> int -> int = "caml_extunix_write"

let write fd buf ofs len =
  if ofs < 0 || len < 0 || ofs > String.length buf - len
  then invalid_arg "ExtUnix.pwrite"
  else unsafe_write fd buf ofs len

(** [intr_write fd buf ofs len] writes up to [len] bytes from file
    descriptor [fd] into the string [buf] at offset [ofs].

    [intr_write] repeats the write operation until all characters have
    been written or an error occurs. Raises an Unix.Unix_error exception
    if 0 characters could be written before an error occurs. Does NOT
    continue on EINTR. Returns the number of characters written in all
    other cases. *)
external unsafe_intr_write: Unix.file_descr -> string -> int -> int -> int = "caml_extunix_intr_write"

let intr_write fd buf ofs len =
  if ofs < 0 || len < 0 || ofs > String.length buf - len
  then invalid_arg "ExtUnix.intr_write"
  else unsafe_intr_write fd buf ofs len

MfG
        Goswin