* [Caml-list] OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-19  4:33 Jeffrey Scofield
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeffrey Scofield @ 2012-06-19  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List; +Cc: Jeffrey Scofield

Greetings,

Can anybody tell me how to install OCaml on an Amazon EC2 instance?  I'm
running Amazon Linux (because it's free).  None of the preconfigured
repositories seem to include OCaml itself (though a few libraries are
present if you enable EPEL 6 "Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux").

There's some indication that I need the "Optional Packages," but so far
all I have is this name.  I don't know what it refers to or how to access
it from my instance.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Jeffrey
Seattle WA

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-19  6:30 ` Stéphane Glondu
From: Stéphane Glondu @ 2012-06-19  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Scofield; +Cc: Caml List

Le 19/06/2012 06:33, Jeffrey Scofield a écrit :
> Can anybody tell me how to install OCaml on an Amazon EC2 instance?  I'm
> running Amazon Linux (because it's free).  None of the preconfigured
> repositories seem to include OCaml itself (though a few libraries are
> present if you enable EPEL 6 "Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux").
>
> There's some indication that I need the "Optional Packages," but so far
> all I have is this name.  I don't know what it refers to or how to access
> it from my instance.

You can try with Debian:

  http://www.monperrus.net/martin/installing-debian-on-amazon-ec2

Cheers,

--
Stéphane

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-19 10:46   ` Goswin von Brederlow
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2012-06-19 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List

Stéphane Glondu <steph@glondu.net> writes:

> Le 19/06/2012 06:33, Jeffrey Scofield a écrit :
>> Can anybody tell me how to install OCaml on an Amazon EC2 instance?  I'm
>> running Amazon Linux (because it's free).  None of the preconfigured
>> repositories seem to include OCaml itself (though a few libraries are
>> present if you enable EPEL 6 "Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux").
>>
>> There's some indication that I need the "Optional Packages," but so far
>> all I have is this name.  I don't know what it refers to or how to access
>> it from my instance.
>
> You can try with Debian:
>
>   http://www.monperrus.net/martin/installing-debian-on-amazon-ec2
>

> Cheers,

You might also want to look into mirage (openmirage.org) for ocaml in a
cloud. (But don't ask me how to start one on amazon.)

MfG
        Goswin

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-19 12:00 ` Siraaj Khandkar
From: Siraaj Khandkar @ 2012-06-19 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Scofield; +Cc: Caml List, Jeffrey Scofield

On Jun 19, 2012, at 0:33, Jeffrey Scofield <jeffsco@psellos.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Can anybody tell me how to install OCaml on an Amazon EC2 instance?  I'm
> running Amazon Linux (because it's free).  None of the preconfigured
> repositories seem to include OCaml itself (though a few libraries are
> present if you enable EPEL 6 "Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux").
>
> There's some indication that I need the "Optional Packages," but so far
> all I have is this name.  I don't know what it refers to or how to access
> it from my instance.
>
> Thanks for any help.

I would use Godi:
http://godi.camlcity.org/godi/

--
Siraaj Khandkar
.o.

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-20  7:45 ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2012-06-20  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Scofield; +Cc: Caml List

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 09:33:34PM -0700, Jeffrey Scofield wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Can anybody tell me how to install OCaml on an Amazon EC2 instance?  I'm
> running Amazon Linux (because it's free).  None of the preconfigured
> repositories seem to include OCaml itself (though a few libraries are
> present if you enable EPEL 6 "Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux").
>
> There's some indication that I need the "Optional Packages," but so far
> all I have is this name.  I don't know what it refers to or how to access
> it from my instance.

I'm not clear what "Amazon Linux" is, but RHEL 5 and up and all
derivatives should have an 'ocaml' package in the base distribution,
and a small collection of libraries.  In RHEL 6 (and forthcoming
RHEL 7) they are all in the "Optional" channel.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-20 16:45   ` Jeffrey Scofield
From: Jeffrey Scofield @ 2012-06-20 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard W.M. Jones; +Cc: Jeffrey Scofield, Caml List

Hi Rich,

> I'm not clear what "Amazon Linux" is, but RHEL 5 and up and all
> derivatives should have an 'ocaml' package in the base distribution,
> and a small collection of libraries.  In RHEL 6 (and forthcoming
> RHEL 7) they are all in the "Optional" channel.

When I create a new EC2 instance, I get a menu of machine image
options.  I've been taking the top one because it's marked as fitting
inside the "Free Tier":

    Amazon Linux AMI 2012.03

    The Amazon Linux AMI 2012.03 is an EBS-backed, PV-GRUB image. It
    includes Linux 3.2, AWS tools, and repository access to multiple
    versions of MySQL, PostgreSQL, Python, Ruby, and Tomcat.  Root
    Device Size: 8 GB

So, this is what I mean by "Amazon Linux".  Other than what it says
above I don't know what it is, either.

As far as I can see, there's no OCaml package in its default
repositories.

However, it also includes configuration info for EPEL 6, disabled by
default.  I enabled the EPEL repository and was really hoping OCaml
would be in there.  There are quite a few OCaml libraries in the EPEL
repository, but OCaml itself isn't there.

I don't really know anything about EPEL, but I thought maybe there
was an additional repository I could add to get OCaml support.  It
seems tantalizingly close to working.

While googling I read about the Optional channel of Red Hat.  As
far as I can determine, this is part of RHN, a subscriber service.
Is this right?

It would definitely be worth some money to get good OCaml support on
Linux, but at the moment I'm just running some cloud computing
feasibility studies and am looking to go on the cheap side.

At any rate, the trick may be to choose a machine image from
further down the list!  (I did get OCaml working by using
packages from CentOS 6.2, as I wrote in another message.)

Thanks for the help.

Jeffrey

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-20 17:12     ` Komtanoo Pinpimai
From: Komtanoo Pinpimai @ 2012-06-20 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Scofield; +Cc: Richard W.M. Jones, Caml List

try those ubuntu images, I've been using them for a while, pretty
recent ocaml & libs in apt repo.

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Jeffrey Scofield <jeffsco@psellos.com> wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
>> I'm not clear what "Amazon Linux" is, but RHEL 5 and up and all
>> derivatives should have an 'ocaml' package in the base distribution,
>> and a small collection of libraries.  In RHEL 6 (and forthcoming
>> RHEL 7) they are all in the "Optional" channel.
>
> When I create a new EC2 instance, I get a menu of machine image
> options.  I've been taking the top one because it's marked as fitting
> inside the "Free Tier":
>
>    Amazon Linux AMI 2012.03
>
>    The Amazon Linux AMI 2012.03 is an EBS-backed, PV-GRUB image. It
>    includes Linux 3.2, AWS tools, and repository access to multiple
>    versions of MySQL, PostgreSQL, Python, Ruby, and Tomcat.  Root
>    Device Size: 8 GB
>
> So, this is what I mean by "Amazon Linux".  Other than what it says
> above I don't know what it is, either.
>
> As far as I can see, there's no OCaml package in its default
> repositories.
>
> However, it also includes configuration info for EPEL 6, disabled by
> default.  I enabled the EPEL repository and was really hoping OCaml
> would be in there.  There are quite a few OCaml libraries in the EPEL
> repository, but OCaml itself isn't there.
>
> I don't really know anything about EPEL, but I thought maybe there
> was an additional repository I could add to get OCaml support.  It
> seems tantalizingly close to working.
>
> While googling I read about the Optional channel of Red Hat.  As
> far as I can determine, this is part of RHN, a subscriber service.
> Is this right?
>
> It would definitely be worth some money to get good OCaml support on
> Linux, but at the moment I'm just running some cloud computing
> feasibility studies and am looking to go on the cheap side.
>
> At any rate, the trick may be to choose a machine image from
> further down the list!  (I did get OCaml working by using
> packages from CentOS 6.2, as I wrote in another message.)
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Jeffrey
>

> --

In accordance with U.S. Treasury regulations, if this message contains
advice concerning one or more Federal tax issues, it is not a formal
legal opinion and may not be used by any person for the avoidance of
Federal tax penalties.

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-20 17:25       ` Jeffrey Scofield
From: Jeffrey Scofield @ 2012-06-20 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: romerun; +Cc: Jeffrey Scofield, Richard W.M. Jones, Caml List

Greetings,

On Jun 20, 2012, at 10:12 AM, Komtanoo Pinpimai wrote:

> try those ubuntu images, I've been using them for a while, pretty
> recent ocaml & libs in apt repo.

Excellent advice, thanks!  This is what I'll try next.

Regards,

Jeffrey

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-21  7:57     ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2012-06-21  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Scofield; +Cc: Caml List

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:45:24AM -0700, Jeffrey Scofield wrote:
> However, it also includes configuration info for EPEL 6, disabled by
> default.  I enabled the EPEL repository and was really hoping OCaml
> would be in there.  There are quite a few OCaml libraries in the EPEL
> repository, but OCaml itself isn't there.

EPEL is a repository that adds additional community-supported
packages to RHEL.

RHEL itself includes OCaml, so it's normal for EPEL not to
have OCaml, but to have several additional libraries for OCaml.

It sounds to me as if "Amazon Linux" is broken, or you need
to enable something.

> While googling I read about the Optional channel of Red Hat.  As
> far as I can determine, this is part of RHN, a subscriber service.
> Is this right?

Yes.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* Re: [Caml-list] OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-21  8:00       ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2012-06-21  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Scofield; +Cc: Caml List

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 08:57:53AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:45:24AM -0700, Jeffrey Scofield wrote:
> > However, it also includes configuration info for EPEL 6, disabled by
> > default.  I enabled the EPEL repository and was really hoping OCaml
> > would be in there.  There are quite a few OCaml libraries in the EPEL
> > repository, but OCaml itself isn't there.
>
> EPEL is a repository that adds additional community-supported
> packages to RHEL.
>
> RHEL itself includes OCaml, so it's normal for EPEL not to
> have OCaml, but to have several additional libraries for OCaml.
>
> It sounds to me as if "Amazon Linux" is broken, or you need
> to enable something.

One thing you might try is looking in /etc/yum.repos.d and
see if anything is "enabled=0" which should be "enabled=1".

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat

* [Caml-list] Re: OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-21 17:48       ` Jeffrey Scofield
From: Jeffrey Scofield @ 2012-06-21 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard W.M. Jones; +Cc: Jeffrey Scofield, Caml List

Hi Rich,

> RHEL itself includes OCaml, so it's normal for EPEL not to
> have OCaml, but to have several additional libraries for OCaml.

It seems a little tricky since OCaml is in the Optional Channel of RHEL.
(I'm not sure how it all fits together, maybe this isn't quite the right
way to describe it.)  Perhaps this makes things difficult for other
releases that are trying to use EPEL (like Amazon Linux).  The EPEL page
seems to say it's supposed to work with other Linux variants.

There's some evidence that CentOS has solved the problem (by supporting
OCaml packages directly in their base release).  This suggests that
Amazon Linux is the odd one out.  I'll try to send Amazon a feature
request for OCaml, if I can figure out how.

But it would also be cool if EPEL decided to support OCaml directly.
If they're really independent of RHEL, seems like they maybe should.

> It sounds to me as if "Amazon Linux" is broken, or you need
> to enable something.

While googling I saw a few other "Amazon Linux" users who were looking for
packages that seem to have fallen through the cracks.

> One thing you might try is looking in /etc/yum.repos.d and
> see if anything is "enabled=0" which should be "enabled=1".

Thanks; this is something I thought to try.  It didn't make any
difference for OCaml support.

Thanks again for the help.

Jeffrey
Seattle WA

* [Caml-list] Re: OCaml on Amazon EC2 Instance
@ 2012-06-21 18:02         ` Richard W.M. Jones
From: Richard W.M. Jones @ 2012-06-21 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey Scofield; +Cc: Caml List

In RHEL, OCaml is in the Optional channel.

Various other people take RHEL packages, recompile them, remove the
RHEL branding and add their own.  CentOS, Scientific Linux etc.  These
distros will take all the packages and recompile them and make them
available.

Since they are not usually concerned with support, they'll just
distribute all the packages together.  For example, in CentOS the
ocaml package is mixed in with all the others:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6.2/os/x86_64/Packages/ocaml-3.11.2-2.el6.x86_64.rpm

Now I've no idea what Amazon Linux are up to, but they've somehow lost
the OCaml package, which is a problem for Amazon Linux.  If this is
true it doesn't sound like a very competent derivative of RHEL, and I
don't know of any other RHEL derivative distribution which has had any
problem distributing the OCaml packages.  (Even worse really because
'createrepo' would have told them that dependencies are missing ...)

In fact according to this:
https://aws.amazon.com/amazon-linux-ami/2012.03-packages/#o
it looks like they've missed out all the ocaml-* packages from RHEL.
I've no idea what they're doing.

Rich.

--

@ 2012-06-19 21:04 Jeffrey Scofield
From: Jeffrey Scofield @ 2012-06-19 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caml List; +Cc: Jeffrey Scofield

Greetings OCaml list,

Thanks very much for the suggestions for getting OCaml installed
on Amazon EC2.  I'm going to save them for future use.

We just wanted to do some fairly quick testing, so I was looking
for something simple.  Since Amazon Linux is compatible with CentOS 6,
what I ended up doing is installing the CentOS 6.2 OCaml package
on my EC2 instance.  I wrote up a description of how to do it
here:

    http://psellos.com/2012/06/2012.06.ocaml-amazon-ec2.html

We've run our first round of tests, and it all seems to be working.

Maybe this will be useful to other OCamlers.

Regards,

Jeffrey