* [Caml-list] Two questions about lex/yacc and lablgtk/gl
@ 2012-08-05 12:06 Nicolas FRANCOIS
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nicolas FRANCOIS @ 2012-08-05 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list, ocaml_beginners

Hi.

I'd like to create a 3D dynamic geometry application. I developped
DrGeoCaml a few years ago, but it's now quite old, and my Caml practice
is a bit rusty. So a few questions to start on the right tracks :

1) I'd like to create a parser, with the help of ocamllex/yacc, but
I don't find the help pages very instructive. Is there a good
tutorial like "Ocamllex for complete numbs" ?

2) I'd like to use lablgtk for the graphic interface, and lablgl for
the 3D visualization. It's mentionned in lablgtk documentation that
this can be done, but once again, i didn't find much help. Any clue ?

Thanks for any tip.

\bye

--

Nicolas FRANCOIS                      |  /\
http://nicolas.francois.free.fr       | |__|

* AW: [Caml-list] Two questions about lex/yacc and lablgtk/gl
@ 2012-08-05 13:16 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2012-08-05 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas FRANCOIS; +Cc: caml-list, ocaml_beginners

Am 05.08.2012 14:06:41 schrieb(en) Nicolas FRANCOIS:
> Hi.
>
> I'd like to create a 3D dynamic geometry application. I developped
> DrGeoCaml a few years ago, but it's now quite old, and my Caml
> practice
> is a bit rusty. So a few questions to start on the right tracks :
>
> 1) I'd like to create a parser, with the help of ocamllex/yacc, but
> I don't find the help pages very instructive. Is there a good
> tutorial like "Ocamllex for complete numbs" ?

I don't know of any such tutorial, but you can also watch out for a lex
tutorial (i.e. for C), because the matching algorithm is exactly the
same. The syntax is of course different, but I guess this is the easier
part, and extractable from the manual (or sample code).

Regarding ocamlyacc, consider to use Menhir instead. It includes a mode
where grammar conflicts are explained by example, and in my experience
this is the difficult part of developing a grammar. And it has macros,
and other convenience features.

Gerd

> 2) I'd like to use lablgtk for the graphic interface, and lablgl for
> the 3D visualization. It's mentionned in lablgtk documentation that
> this can be done, but once again, i didn't find much help. Any clue ?
>
> Thanks for any tip.
>
> \bye
>
> --
>
> Nicolas FRANCOIS                      |  /\
> http://nicolas.francois.free.fr       | |__|
> 				      X--/\\
> We are the Micro$oft.		        _\_V
> Resistance is futile.
> You will be assimilated.         darthvader penguin
>
> --

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.

* Re: [Caml-list] Two questions about lex/yacc and lablgtk/gl
@ 2012-08-05 13:36 ` oliver
From: oliver @ 2012-08-05 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas FRANCOIS; +Cc: caml-list, ocaml_beginners

Hello,

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 02:06:41PM +0200, Nicolas FRANCOIS wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'd like to create a 3D dynamic geometry application. I developped
> DrGeoCaml a few years ago, but it's now quite old, and my Caml practice
> is a bit rusty. So a few questions to start on the right tracks :
>
> 1) I'd like to create a parser, with the help of ocamllex/yacc, but
> I don't find the help pages very instructive. Is there a good
> tutorial like "Ocamllex for complete numbs" ?
[...]

Ocamllex-Tutorial:
  http://plus.kaist.ac.kr/~shoh/ocaml/ocamllex-ocamlyacc/ocamllex-tutorial/

Ocamlyacc-Tutoprial:
  http://plus.kaist.ac.kr/~shoh/ocaml/ocamllex-ocamlyacc/ocamlyacc-tutorial/

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] Two questions about lex/yacc and lablgtk/gl
@ 2012-08-05 23:22 ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2012-08-05 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list; +Cc: Nicolas FRANCOIS, ocaml_beginners

Le dimanche 05 août 2012 14:06:41, Nicolas FRANCOIS a écrit :
> Hi.
Hi,

[...]
> 2) I'd like to use lablgtk for the graphic interface, and lablgl for
> the 3D visualization. It's mentionned in lablgtk documentation that
> this can be done, but once again, i didn't find much help. Any clue ?

We can use LablGTK for OpenGL windowing with any OCaml-OpenGL bindings.
There are currently 3 OCaml-OpenGL bindings:

- LablGL (the older one) http://forge.ocamlcore.org/projects/lablgl/
- GLCaml (generated code) http://glcaml.sourceforge.net/
- glMLite () http://www.linux-nantes.org/%7Efmonnier/ocaml/GL/

As long as I know, if you want to write forward compatible OpenGL code in
OCaml, you can only do so with glMLite.

If you need some help for LablGTK-OpenGL (any binding) or OpenGL in OCaml (any
binding) just ask.

--
Regards
Florent

* Re: "ocaml_beginners"::[] Re: [Caml-list] Two questions about lex/yacc and lablgtk/gl
@ 2012-08-06 12:14   ` Nicolas FRANCOIS
From: Nicolas FRANCOIS @ 2012-08-06 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ocaml_beginners; +Cc: caml-list

Thank you everyone for your kind help.

Clearly, everyone subscribes to both the mailing lists, so any will
do :-)

I'll contact you later for more help.

\bye

PS : The Ocamllex/yacc tutorials are great, but I can't get the pdf
versions.