From: Vincent Balat <vincent.balat@univ-paris-diderot.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Cc: Wojciech Meyer <wojciech.meyer@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] OCaml wiki
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 17:20:36 +0100	[thread overview]

We have been using our home-made (Eliom based) wiki for years on
http://ocsigen.org and http://www.pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr and it is probably
a good candidate for ocaml.org. The project is called Ocsimore (see
http://ocsigen.org/ocsimore ).

You can test it on page:
https://ocsigen.org/sandboxwiki/

Log in with user "test", password "test".

and see the manual for the syntax here:
https://ocsigen.org/ocsimore/dev/manual/wiki

This wiki is somewhat different from all others, but has very interesting
features that may be useful for ocaml.org:

 * you can mix static pages and wiki pages: if the static page is present, it
will be sent, otherwise the wiki page is displayed. It is possible for example
to keep the current web site and add progressively new pages using the wiki.

 * you can create several wikis on the website, corresponding to different
rights. For example http://ocsigen.org/devarea/ is a wiki restricted to
ocsigen's developers.

 * There is no default page container, and no default stylesheet: each wiki
has its own container, common to every page of the wiki, that is itself
written using wiki syntax. Editing the container requires special rights.

 * CSS are also edited online (by the users who have the right for this)

 * You can create CSS for the whole wiki or specific CSS for some pages

 * The base component of the wiki is not the page, but the "wikibox"
Each page (and each wikibox) can contain several wikiboxes, and a wikibox may
appear on several pages

 * Each wikibox can be given specific rights (read/write/see history/change
CSS...)

 * Each wikibox may itself be a container. For example if you want a menu
common to several pages.

 * The wiki syntax is following the wikicreole standard, with some additions.
The goal is to have most the possibilities offered by HTML. All the pages from
the websites mentioned above are written with this syntax.

 * It is possible to write extensions to the wiki syntax. For exemple we have
<<code language="ocaml"| ... >> to display OCaml with syntax highlighting.

Ocsimore also has a forum module (for messages/comments) but it is still beta.

Ocsimore is conceived to be extensible and very customisable (even if it
requires to understand a complex piece of code). It has very powerful right
managements.

We never announced/released Ocsimore yet because there are still a lot of work
to do to improve user friendliness. But things improved a lot in the past
months and OCaml developers (and ocaml.org admins) can probably cope with it).
We will release version 1 soon.

Vincent [for the Ocsigen team]