* [Caml-list] [ANN] ocurl forked and 0.5.4 released
@ 2013-01-30 23:03 ygrek
From: ygrek @ 2013-01-30 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

 Let me announce the existence of the new ocurl project, namely at http://ocurl.forge.ocamlcore.org/
This project is the fork of http://ocurl.sourceforge.net/ and accumulates many bugfixes and
enhancements which didn't make it to the original version, including the multi API wrappers
and pluggable asynchronous interface (which makes it possible to inject curl transfers in
your event loop of choice). This is the first release for the fork, that incorporates all
the bugfixes and new features from 3 years of its history, except the asynchronous api.
Next release will merge branch event.

I would like to thank Lars Nilsson, the original author of ocurl, who brought this project to existence.
Hope the forked version will prove useful.

--
 ygrek
 http://ygrek.org.ua

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] ocurl forked and 0.5.4 released
@ 2013-01-31  9:21 ` Goswin von Brederlow
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2013-01-31  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 01:03:39AM +0200, ygrek wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  Let me announce the existence of the new ocurl project, namely at http://ocurl.forge.ocamlcore.org/
> This project is the fork of http://ocurl.sourceforge.net/ and accumulates many bugfixes and
> enhancements which didn't make it to the original version, including the multi API wrappers
> and pluggable asynchronous interface (which makes it possible to inject curl transfers in
> your event loop of choice). This is the first release for the fork, that incorporates all
> the bugfixes and new features from 3 years of its history, except the asynchronous api.
> Next release will merge branch event.
>
> I would like to thank Lars Nilsson, the original author of ocurl, who brought this project to existence.
> Hope the forked version will prove useful.

Can you tell us why you need to fork ocurl? Why not continue the original
project?

And if you must fork then please change the name so the two don't get
confused.

MfG
	Goswin

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] ocurl forked and 0.5.4 released
@ 2013-02-02 10:27   ` Vincent B.
From: Vincent B. @ 2013-02-02 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 31/01/2013 10:21, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Can you tell us why you need to fork ocurl? Why not continue the original
> project?
>
> And if you must fork then please change the name so the two don't get
> confused.
>
> MfG
> 	Goswin

Hi,

This fork started as I (on behalf of the OPAM team) asked for a fork of
ocurl to include in OPAM since the original ocurl has not been updated
for a long time, and is not compiling anymore out of the box, at least
on recent versions of OCaml. Moreover as ygrek said, his version
accumulates lots of bugfixes meant to be integrated into the official
branch for a long time already, that could not make it because the
original author did not answer at all.

The need of a fork arises from what is mentionned before, mostly the
original author being unreachable and the changes accumulating too much
to be kept as separate patches.

As for changing the name, I would personally not do it since it is a
rightful continuation of the ocurl project (and is backward compatible).
I’m suggesting to wait for the original ocurl author to reappear to see
if we can finally merge the changes.

Cheers,

Vincent

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] ocurl forked and 0.5.4 released
@ 2013-02-04 11:06     ` Goswin von Brederlow
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2013-02-04 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sat, Feb 02, 2013 at 11:27:39AM +0100, Vincent B. wrote:
> On 31/01/2013 10:21, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >Can you tell us why you need to fork ocurl? Why not continue the original
> >project?
> >
> >And if you must fork then please change the name so the two don't get
> >confused.
> >
> >MfG
> >	Goswin
>
> Hi,
>
> This fork started as I (on behalf of the OPAM team) asked for a fork
> of ocurl to include in OPAM since the original ocurl has not been
> updated for a long time, and is not compiling anymore out of the
> box, at least on recent versions of OCaml. Moreover as ygrek said,
> his version accumulates lots of bugfixes meant to be integrated into
> the official branch for a long time already, that could not make it
> because the original author did not answer at all.
>
> The need of a fork arises from what is mentionned before, mostly the
> original author being unreachable and the changes accumulating too
> much to be kept as separate patches.
>
> As for changing the name, I would personally not do it since it is a
> rightful continuation of the ocurl project (and is backward
> compatible). I?m suggesting to wait for the original ocurl author to
> reappear to see if we can finally merge the changes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent

Sounds fine. So it is more a hijacking (due to unreachability) than a
fork. I was just worried that there would be competing bindings under
the same name. But this is fine. Thanks for picking it up.

MfG
	Goswin

* Re: [Caml-list] [ANN] ocurl forked and 0.5.4 released
@ 2013-02-05 22:33     ` ygrek
From: ygrek @ 2013-02-05 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 11:27:39 +0100
"Vincent B." <vb@vb.fdn.fr> wrote:

> This fork started as I (on behalf of the OPAM team) asked for a fork of
> ocurl to include in OPAM since the original ocurl has not been updated
> for a long time, and is not compiling anymore out of the box, at least
> on recent versions of OCaml. Moreover as ygrek said, his version
> accumulates lots of bugfixes meant to be integrated into the official
> branch for a long time already, that could not make it because the
> original author did not answer at all.
>
> The need of a fork arises from what is mentionned before, mostly the
> original author being unreachable and the changes accumulating too much
> to be kept as separate patches.
>
> As for changing the name, I would personally not do it since it is a
> rightful continuation of the ocurl project (and is backward compatible).
> I’m suggesting to wait for the original ocurl author to reappear to see
> if we can finally merge the changes.

Ack.
Thanks for clearing this up and getting to original author.
As per response by Lars this issue is now settled, for great good :)

--
 ygrek
 http://ygrek.org.ua