* [Caml-list] findlib-problem: packages seem to be there at many places
@ 2013-02-11 10:39 Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2013-02-11 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hello,

the following message is what I got:

ocamlfind ocamlc -package
pcre,netstring,netsys,netclient,curl,xml-light -c scriptparser.mli
findlib: [WARNING] Interface netstring_pcre.cmi occurs in several
directories: /usr/lib/ocaml/netstring, /usr/lib/ocaml/netstring-pcre

I use OcamlMakefile for building.

On my Ubuntu-box (old ocaml and libs; ocaml 3.11.2) it works;
on my Arch-box (ocaml 4.00.1, it does not work, see above).

Any ideas where this can come from?

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] findlib-problem: packages seem to be there at many places
@ 2013-02-12 12:02 ` Robert Jakob
From: Robert Jakob @ 2013-02-12 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> ocamlfind ocamlc -package
> pcre,netstring,netsys,netclient,curl,xml-light -c scriptparser.mli
> findlib: [WARNING] Interface netstring_pcre.cmi occurs in several
> directories: /usr/lib/ocaml/netstring, /usr/lib/ocaml/netstring-pcre
> Any ideas where this can come from?
Well, as it says, there are interface files with
the same name in both /usr/lib/ocaml/netstring and
/usr/lib/ocaml/netstring-pcre.

When I recall correctly, there was a version change
in netstring which extracted the pcre part to an extra
library.

Just a rough guess: it seams you have installed an old
version of netstring (where pcre was still part of netstring)
and a version of netstring-pce which was extracted.
Possible solution: Install newer version of netstring?

Hope this helps.

Robert

* Re: [Caml-list] findlib-problem: packages seem to be there at many places
@ 2013-02-18  7:42   ` oliver
From: oliver @ 2013-02-18  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Jakob; +Cc: caml-list

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 01:02:20PM +0100, Robert Jakob wrote:

> >ocamlfind ocamlc -package
> >pcre,netstring,netsys,netclient,curl,xml-light -c scriptparser.mli
> >findlib: [WARNING] Interface netstring_pcre.cmi occurs in several
> >directories: /usr/lib/ocaml/netstring, /usr/lib/ocaml/netstring-pcre
> >Any ideas where this can come from?
> Well, as it says, there are interface files with
> the same name in both /usr/lib/ocaml/netstring and
> /usr/lib/ocaml/netstring-pcre.
>
> When I recall correctly, there was a version change
> in netstring which extracted the pcre part to an extra
> library.
>
> Just a rough guess: it seams you have installed an old
> version of netstring (where pcre was still part of netstring)
> and a version of netstring-pce which was extracted.
> Possible solution: Install newer version of netstring?
[...]

I had installed a not-current and some days later the current
ocamlnet.
Even the old package should have been removed automatically,
that was not the case.

After removing the lib and reinstalling it, this problem vanished.
(It should never occur... the details are a an issue for philosophoical admins ;-))

Ciao,
   Oliver