* [Caml-list] Linux epoll bindings
@ 2013-05-08 14:50 Goswin von Brederlow
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2013-05-08 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

does anyone have or know of bindings for linux epoll for ocaml?

MfG
	Goswin

* Re: [Caml-list] Linux epoll bindings
@ 2013-05-08 15:06 ` Jeremie Dimino
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeremie Dimino @ 2013-05-08 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Goswin von Brederlow; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

Core has bindings for epoll.  They are in the module Core.Std.Linux_ext.Epoll.

Jeremie

@ 2013-05-08 15:06 ` Markus Mottl
From: Markus Mottl @ 2013-05-08 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Goswin von Brederlow; +Cc: caml-list

Hi,

the Jane Street Core library has epoll in its Linux extensions module
(Core.Std.Linux_ext.Epoll).

Regards,
Markus

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone have or know of bindings for linux epoll for ocaml?
>
> MfG
>         Goswin
>
> --

Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com

* Re: [Caml-list] Linux epoll bindings
@ 2013-05-08 15:54 ` Prashanth Mundkur
From: Prashanth Mundkur @ 2013-05-08 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Goswin von Brederlow; +Cc: caml-list

On 16:50 Wed 08 May, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> does anyone have or know of bindings for linux epoll for ocaml?

There are some in sonet too:
https://github.com/pmundkur/sonet/blob/master/eventloop/epoll_stubs.c

* AW: [Caml-list] Linux epoll bindings
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-05-08 18:15 ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2013-05-08 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Goswin von Brederlow; +Cc: caml-list

Am 08.05.2013 16:50:45 schrieb(en) Goswin von Brederlow:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone have or know of bindings for linux epoll for ocaml?

There is also some support in Ocamlnet:

http://projects.camlcity.org/projects/dl/ocamlnet-3.6.3/doc/html-main/Netsys_posix.html#1_Eventaggregation

Gerd

> MfG
> 	Goswin
>
> --

Gerd Stolpmann, Darmstadt, Germany    gerd@gerd-stolpmann.de
Creator of GODI and camlcity.org.

* Re: [Caml-list] Linux epoll bindings
@ 2013-05-10 23:10   ` Goswin von Brederlow
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2013-05-10 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 11:06:48AM -0400, Markus Mottl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the Jane Street Core library has epoll in its Linux extensions module
> (Core.Std.Linux_ext.Epoll).
>
> Regards,
> Markus
>
> On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > does anyone have or know of bindings for linux epoll for ocaml?
> >
> > MfG
> >         Goswin
>
> --
> Markus Mottl        http://www.ocaml.info        markus.mottl@gmail.com

I think the best feature of Linux epoll is that the struct epoll_event
contains a epoll_data_t where one can store a pointer, int, uint32_t
or uint64_t. Core.Std.Linux_ext.Epoll (and the other epoll bindings)
seem to always store the Unix.file_descr there.

In my case, and probably most cases, I have different FDs in the mix
that need to do different things when their event is triggered. For
example the server socket needs to call accpet() on POLLIN while
client sockets need to (continue to) parse requests. So every FD has a
bit of state associated with it that tells what to do with it. And I
need a Hashtbl.t to lookup the state for each FD that gets an event.

Now wouldn't it be much better to store a 'a in the epoll_data_t
instead of the FD? That would allow storing a Unix.file_descr just
like now, a closure or any other data structure one wishes to
associate with the event being waited for. Something like (loosely
based on janestreets core):

module Epoll: sig
  type op = ADD | MOD | DEL

  type flags (* EPOLLIN | EPOLLOUT | .... *)

  type 'a event = {
    flags : flags;
    data : 'a
  }

  type 'a t

  val create : 'a. (int -> 'a t)
  (** create max_events  creates an epoll object able to process up
      to max_events per wait call. *)

  val ctl : 'a t -> op -> Unix.file_descr -> 'a event -> unit
  (** ctl t op fd event  adds, modifies, deletes the association between
      the fd and the event. *)

  val wait : 'a t -> [ `After of float | `Immediately | `Never ]
                  -> [ `Ok | `Timeout ]
  (** wait t timeout  blocks until at least one file descriptor in t
      is ready for one of the events it is being watched for, or timeout
      passes. *)

  val iter : 'a t -> (flags -> 'a -> unit) -> unit
  val fold : 'a t -> 'b -> ('b -> flags -> 'a -> 'b) -> 'b
  (** iterate or fold over pending events *)
end

Anyone know of epoll bindings like that? I only found the FD kind with
google.

MfG
	Goswin

* AW: [Caml-list] Linux epoll bindings
@ 2013-05-11  9:44     ` Gerd Stolpmann
From: Gerd Stolpmann @ 2013-05-11  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Goswin von Brederlow; +Cc: caml-list

Am 11.05.2013 01:10:41 schrieb(en) Goswin von Brederlow:
> I think the best feature of Linux epoll is that the struct epoll_event
> contains a epoll_data_t where one can store a pointer, int, uint32_t
> or uint64_t. Core.Std.Linux_ext.Epoll (and the other epoll bindings)
> seem to always store the Unix.file_descr there.
>
> In my case, and probably most cases, I have different FDs in the mix
> that need to do different things when their event is triggered. For
> example the server socket needs to call accpet() on POLLIN while
> client sockets need to (continue to) parse requests. So every FD has a
> bit of state associated with it that tells what to do with it. And I
> need a Hashtbl.t to lookup the state for each FD that gets an event.

Using a hashtbl or other external container is the right thing to do.
You cannot put an OCaml pointer into a kernel structure, because the
OCaml memory manager might want to move the OCaml block around, and
there is no way to update the pointer when OCaml wants to do this. So
you cannot get around this indirection here (which is also very cheap
at runtime, so I also wonder where the runtime improvement would be).

Gerd

@ 2013-05-11 10:14       ` Goswin von Brederlow
From: Goswin von Brederlow @ 2013-05-11 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 11:44:59AM +0200, Gerd Stolpmann wrote:
> Am 11.05.2013 01:10:41 schrieb(en) Goswin von Brederlow:
> >I think the best feature of Linux epoll is that the struct epoll_event
> >contains a epoll_data_t where one can store a pointer, int, uint32_t
> >or uint64_t. Core.Std.Linux_ext.Epoll (and the other epoll bindings)
> >seem to always store the Unix.file_descr there.
> >
> >In my case, and probably most cases, I have different FDs in the mix
> >that need to do different things when their event is triggered. For
> >example the server socket needs to call accpet() on POLLIN while
> >client sockets need to (continue to) parse requests. So every FD has a
> >bit of state associated with it that tells what to do with it. And I
> >need a Hashtbl.t to lookup the state for each FD that gets an event.
>
> Using a hashtbl or other external container is the right thing to
> do. You cannot put an OCaml pointer into a kernel structure, because
> the OCaml memory manager might want to move the OCaml block around,
> and there is no way to update the pointer when OCaml wants to do
> this. So you cannot get around this indirection here (which is also
> very cheap at runtime, so I also wonder where the runtime
> improvement would be).
>
> Gerd

It is true that one needs an indirection to keep the GC happy. But
that would be something for the Epoll module to handle. Not for me.
Wether it does that in the ocaml code or in the C stubs is open to
implementation.

The improvement would be not to have to manage the hashtbl manually at
every place where the epoll set is modified.

> >Now wouldn't it be much better to store a 'a in the epoll_data_t
> >instead of the FD? That would allow storing a Unix.file_descr just
> >like now, a closure or any other data structure one wishes to
> >associate with the event being waited for. Something like (loosely
> >based on janestreets core):
> >
> >module Epoll: sig
> >  type op = ADD | MOD | DEL
> >
> >  type flags (* EPOLLIN | EPOLLOUT | .... *)
> >
> >  type 'a event = {
> >    flags : flags;
> >    data : 'a
> >  }
> >
> >  type 'a t
> >
> >  val create : 'a. (int -> 'a t)
> >  (** create max_events  creates an epoll object able to process up
> >      to max_events per wait call. *)
> >
> >  val ctl : 'a t -> op -> Unix.file_descr -> 'a event -> unit
> >  (** ctl t op fd event  adds, modifies, deletes the association
> >between
> >      the fd and the event. *)
> >
> >  val wait : 'a t -> [ `After of float | `Immediately | `Never ]
> >                  -> [ `Ok | `Timeout ]
> >  (** wait t timeout  blocks until at least one file descriptor in t
> >      is ready for one of the events it is being watched for, or
> >timeout
> >      passes. *)
> >
> >  val iter : 'a t -> (flags -> 'a -> unit) -> unit
> >  val fold : 'a t -> 'b -> ('b -> flags -> 'a -> 'b) -> 'b
> >  (** iterate or fold over pending events *)
> >end
> >

> >Anyone know of epoll bindings like that? I only found the FD kind with
> >google.
> >
> >MfG
> >	Goswin

MfG