On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 20:17:37 +0200 Adrien Nader wrote: > I hadn't, thanks for the link. I skipped the video and went a bit > quickly through the lwn article (hopefully, lwn articles are > well-written and you only need to read a few words of a paragraph to > kwow whether you want to skip it or not). Let's see... > It's fairly reassuring that they plan to make something stable after > that. I hope for everyone that this holds. By the time they reach the > end of GTK3, they should notice that it's necessary; again, I hope. Maybe they will achieve something stable after GTK3, but nobody knows when it will happen and it seems that GNOME will remain the only customer at that time. > I've had troubles engaging with the GTK+ community. Maybe I should > have tried the mailing-lists instead of only IRC but they are active > on IRC and I'd expect to get at least some reaction but I had lots of > troubles getting any. If I'm trying to work for free, don't make me > work more in order to do the work. Have you seen this one: "Finally, he said, people ask whether GTK+ is focused on creating "small apps" or "large applications," and his answer is "small apps." In other words, GTK+ widgets are designed to make it easy and fast to write small apps for GNOME: apps like Clocks, rather than GIMP or Inkscape." Frankly speaking I'm not interested to use GUI toolkit which is designed for writing "apps like Clocks". No wonder that more & more projects (even DEs like LXDE) are moving towards Qt. Sure, Qt is not perfect, but the state of GTK is sad. > Well, no. > I'm going to mostly repeat what I wrote on IRC (I was at work; I leave > my laptop along with my SSH keys and passwords at home). > > I think you can easily understand that not many people would drop a > project they're working on (even infrequently) and switch to some kind > of "competitor". Here I am trying to just be practical...for only short period of time I was running KDE desktop (~0.9.x) and the rest of the time GTK-ones (now I use only i3). Moreover, my preferred apps were also GTK-based, but when I see direction where it goes, it is wise to be prepare for the future. (/me was die-hard OS2 user, but jumped onto Linux train inn '99) > But apart from that, I dislike Qt. OK -- fair-enough. > I'm much more interested in bindings to the EFLs[1]. It's C and the > direct result is that you already have bindings even though fairly > little time has been spent on them. It's much smaller, it's fast, the > API is fairly small and, at least for the EFLs 1.7, the typing used on > the C side is so inexistant that I'm sure it will be easy to provide > an awesome high-level layer bindings on top of it. I wish you all success. EFL is surely better option than GTK. > Oh and the community is welcoming, with many French people, i.e. that > you can actually threaten with a baseball bat. :) :-) What about Tk which seems to not look bad in 8.6.x ? Sincerely, Gour -- In the material world, one who is unaffected by whatever good or evil he may obtain, neither praising it nor despising it, is firmly fixed in perfect knowledge. http://www.atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810