* [Caml-list] One shot OPAM
@ 2014-09-22 10:16 Thomas Braibant
From: Thomas Braibant @ 2014-09-22 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi list,

I would like to use OPAM on Windows, but the experience I got from it
was a mixed bag. Leaving that aside, what I really want is in fact the
ability to get the sources of some packages, compile them, install
them, compile a piece of software and then throw away the Windows VM.

I think I heard/read about someone using opam files to generate a
script that do contains everything needed to download/install a set of
packages automatically. Has anyone done something like
that, or have I been dreaming?

Best,
THomas

* Re: [Caml-list] One shot OPAM
@ 2014-09-22 10:33 ` ygrek
From: ygrek @ 2014-09-22 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 12:16:20 +0200
Thomas Braibant <thomas.braibant@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to use OPAM on Windows, but the experience I got from it
> was a mixed bag. Leaving that aside, what I really want is in fact the
> ability to get the sources of some packages, compile them, install
> them, compile a piece of software and then throw away the Windows VM.
>
> I think I heard/read about someone using opam files to generate a
> script that do contains everything needed to download/install a set of
> packages automatically. Has anyone done something like
> that, or have I been dreaming?

Have a look at https://github.com/ocaml/opam/pull/1190
The fundamental limitation is that it uses current (local) state of OPAM to generate
the script, i.e. may pick up the optional dependencies that are not strictly needed etc etc.
But the idea is that one can create a fresh switch to run the bundler in.