From: "Richard W.M. Jones" <rich@annexia.org>
To: "Stéphane Glondu" <steph@glondu.net>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr,
	Debian Ocaml Maint ML <debian-ocaml-maint@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] mips32 backend without floating point hardware
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 18:57:07 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:30:27AM +0200, Stéphane Glondu wrote:
> Le 21/06/2015 12:08, Vincent Bernardoff a écrit :
> > I'm using OpenWRT (on a MIPS platform without hardware FP) to develop an
> > IoT (internet of things) project, and I would like to use OCaml for it.
> > I don't need floating point in this project but I'd like to be able to
> > use a "normal" OCaml ecosystem (OPAM, lwt, etc…) that does not work well
> > in practice without ocamlopt.
>
> In Debian, we manage to maintain architectures without ocamlopt (mips,
> mipsel, ppc64el and s390x at the moment). This is one of the main

FYI Red Hat maintain native ppc64 (big endian) and ppc64le backends.
You can find them here:

https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/fedora-ocaml.git/log/?h=fedora-23-4.02

 - - -

I discussed this a bit with Mark Shinwell already - I'd dearly like
for these to be maintained upstream, particularly the ppc64le one.

Access to the hardware is tricky unfortunately.  I have remote access
through work, and virtualization is a (slow) option:

https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2015/04/15/virt-builder-fedora-21-ppc64-and-ppc64le-images/

Red Hat and IBM are sponsoring a public server rack in Brno, Czech
Republic:

http://fit-rhlab.blaskovic.sk/category/open-power-hub/

I expect that the hardware will become more readily available over
the next year or two.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones