On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 10:59:49PM +0000, Sylvain Le Gall wrote: > Please consider adding more comments to the following bug, which seems > close to what you are discussing: > > https://forge.ocamlcore.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1473&group_id=54&atid=291 > > I must admit that I totally miss the whole point of the discussion, > probably if you can make a summary of what you precisely need in the > BTS, I will be able to understand the problem better. Unfortunately I don't know enough about `oasis` to understand that bug report :( I'll try to explain how I'd like to use oasis/buildtool by looking how Haskell's Cabal lets me do it: - Configure without generating anything in the current dir: % runhaskell Setup.hs --builddir /tmp/my_build_dir - Build using the just generated configuration, again without putting anything in the current dir: % runhaskell Setup.hs --builddir /tmp/my_build_dir Comparing this to oasis/buildtool (assuming I've a pre-existing `setup.ml` generated with `oasis setup -setup-update dynamic` to minimize the amount of build-related stuff in the project): - Configure % ocaml setup.ml -configure This generates a file, `setup.data` in the current dir. I've found no way to have it generated in a dedicated build dir. - Build % ocaml setup.ml -build -build-dir /tmp/my_build_dir -no-links This builds in the mentioned dir, but it also generates a `setup.log` in the current dir! I thought that `-C` could offer a way to achieve this, but it doesn't: % mkdir /tmp/my_build_dir; cd /tmp/my_build_dir % ocaml /path/to/setup.ml -h Exception: Sys_error "_oasis: No such file or directory". File "/path/to/setup.ml", line 1: Error: Reference to undefined global `OASISDynRun' I'm not convinced `-C` *should* be the way to achieve what I want. Hopefully this makes it clearer what I mean. /M -- Magnus Therning OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4 email: magnus@therning.org jabber: magnus@therning.org twitter: magthe http://therning.org/magnus Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo. -- Andy Finkel