* [Caml-list] Error: The type abbreviation t is cyclic while defining submodules
@ 2016-06-10 20:00 Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2016-06-10 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Dear all,

Assume the following code in a file points.ml:

type t = float * float

let compare = Pervasives.compare

(* Other functions on points *)

module OrderedPoints : Set.OrderedType with type t = t = struct
  type t = t
  let compare = compare
end

module PointSet : Set.S with type t = t = Set.Make(OrderedPoints)

The line
  type t = t
yields the above mentionned error.

Is there a way to let the compiler know that the t appearing after the
"=" sign refers to the type defined at points.ml top level?

Thanks!

Sébastien.

* Re: [Caml-list] Error: The type abbreviation t is cyclic while defining submodules
@ 2016-06-10 20:03 ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2016-06-10 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Hinderer, caml users

This is

  type nonrec t = t

which has been introduced in 4.02, after some years of internal usage
of (a syntax preprocessor implementing) it internally in Jane Street.

@ 2016-06-10 20:05   ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2016-06-10 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Hinderer, caml users

P.S.: Note that "nonrec" is only in definitions (struct .. end) and
signatures (sig .. end), not in equations such as "with type t = t"
which are a different construct, interpreted recursively -- not the
best choice for consistency, but well.

@ 2016-06-10 20:10   ` Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2016-06-10 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: caml users

Gabriel Scherer (2016/06/10 16:03 -0400):
> This is
>
>   type nonrec t = t
>
> which has been introduced in 4.02, after some years of internal usage
> of (a syntax preprocessor implementing) it internally in Jane Street.

Thanks so much for such a prompt and helpful response, Gabriel!

@ 2016-06-10 20:17     ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2016-06-10 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Hinderer, caml users

> not in equations such as "with type t = t"
> which are a different construct, interpreted recursively

There is a typo above, I meant to say that such type constraints are
*not* recursive, and thus do not need a nonrec construction.

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Gabriel Scherer

@ 2016-06-10 20:18     ` Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2016-06-10 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: caml users

Gabriel Scherer (2016/06/10 16:05 -0400):
> P.S.: Note that "nonrec" is only in definitions (struct .. end) and
> signatures (sig .. end), not in equations such as "with type t = t"
> which are a different construct, interpreted recursively -- not the
> best choice for consistency, but well.

So to make an equality between two types public one has to first
introduce a signature, right?

Now the code looks like this:

type t = float * float

let compare = Pervasives.compare

(* Other functions on points *)

module OrderedPoints : Set.OrderedType with type t = t = struct
  type nonrec t = t
  let compare = compare
end

module PointSet (* : Set.S with type t = t *) = Set.Make(OrderedPoints)

Note the commented bit in the last line, when it is uncommented it does
indeed not work.

@ 2016-06-10 20:23       ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2016-06-10 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer, caml users

I think the problem is rather that the Set.S signature has abstract
types "t" (for sets) and "elt" (for elements), and that you mean "with
type elt = t" here.

Note that you don't need any of the signature constraints here:

module OrderedPoints = struct
  type nonrec t = t
  let compare = compare
end
module PointSet = Set.Make(OrderedPoints)

works. On the other hand, (module OrderedPoints : Set.OrderedType =
...) is not good as it makes OrderedPoints.t an abstract type, and
thus you cannot use it from client code afterwards.

Finally, if you want your code to type-check under an older OCaml
version without nonrec, you can work around the lack of it with
synonyms

type u = t
module OrderedPoints = struct
  type t = u
  let compare = compare
end

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 4:18 PM, Sébastien Hinderer

@ 2016-06-10 20:29         ` Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2016-06-10 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Thanks again Gabriel! Everything seems clear now!
Sébastien.