* [Caml-list] On .gitignore
@ 2017-03-24  7:05 Kenichi Asai
From: Kenichi Asai @ 2017-03-24  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Why is /otherlibs/systhreads/thread.ml listed in .gitignore in the
OCaml distribution (or in the github repository)?  Because of this,
when I make a local git repository from the OCaml source and clone it
to somewhere else, I get an error when I do "make world" because of
the missing thread.ml file.  Is it safe to remove the line from
.gitignore?

Peculiarly, when I modify thread.ml, "git status" reports that the
file is modified, even though it is listed in .gitignore.  I might not
understand the behavior of .gitignore quite right.

I found the following files exist and match .gitignore:

.depend
/otherlibs/systhreads/thread.ml
testsuite/tests/asmcomp/mips.s
testsuite/tests/opaque/intf/opaque_impl.mli
testsuite/tests/opaque/intf/opaque_intf.mli
testsuite/tests/opaque/intf/regular.mli

--
Kenichi Asai

* Re: [Caml-list] On .gitignore
@ 2017-03-24 12:16 ` Fabrice Le Fessant
From: Fabrice Le Fessant @ 2017-03-24 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Asai, caml-list

Could you fill an issue on Mantis ? It's clearly a bug... A file in the
index should never be in the .gitignore.
--Fabrice

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 8:06 AM Kenichi Asai <asai@is.ocha.ac.jp> wrote:

> Why is /otherlibs/systhreads/thread.ml listed in .gitignore in the
> OCaml distribution (or in the github repository)?  Because of this,
> when I make a local git repository from the OCaml source and clone it
> to somewhere else, I get an error when I do "make world" because of
> the missing thread.ml file.  Is it safe to remove the line from
> .gitignore?
>
> Peculiarly, when I modify thread.ml, "git status" reports that the
> file is modified, even though it is listed in .gitignore.  I might not
> understand the behavior of .gitignore quite right.
>
> I found the following files exist and match .gitignore:
>
> .depend
> /otherlibs/systhreads/thread.ml
> testsuite/tests/asmcomp/mips.s
> testsuite/tests/opaque/intf/opaque_impl.mli
> testsuite/tests/opaque/intf/opaque_intf.mli
> testsuite/tests/opaque/intf/regular.mli
>
> --
> Kenichi Asai
>
> --

* Re: [Caml-list] On .gitignore
@ 2017-03-25  1:27   ` Kenichi Asai
From: Kenichi Asai @ 2017-03-25  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Le Fessant; +Cc: caml-list

> Could you fill an issue on Mantis ? It's clearly a bug... A file in the index
> should never be in the .gitignore.

Thanks for the e-mail.  Done.

--
Kenichi Asai

* Re: [Caml-list] On .gitignore
@ 2017-03-31 13:40 ` Sébastien Hinderer
From: Sébastien Hinderer @ 2017-03-31 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Hi,

Kenichi Asai (2017/03/24 16:05 +0900):
> Why is /otherlibs/systhreads/thread.ml listed in .gitignore in the
> OCaml distribution (or in the github repository)?

It should not, indeed. Many thanks for the report.

The problem has been fixed in commit
9c06706292f6b7418650e08b270fb4cffe1f8678
that has just been pushed to OCaml's GitHub repository.

See the commit message for the explanation of why it was included.

Sébastien.