From: Adrien Nader <adrien@notk.org>
To: Olaf Hering <olaf@aepfle.de>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] removal of C compiler variables in in 4.06
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:23:04 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017, Olaf Hering wrote:
> While wresting with labltk and 4.05 I noticed an backwards incompatible
> change in labltk.git (986e116 "Fix for ocaml 4.06") and in ocaml.git
> (cc7ad5650a "Get rid of BYTECC and NATIVECC"). What is the rationale to
> break external users of BYTECC/NATIVECC? Perhaps labltk shouldnt have
> used these variables in the first place. But if their usage is legitime,
> why the needless breakage?

First of all, I absolutely definitely completely would not call these
"needless" and even less say that breakage was voluntary. I understand
your frustration but the way you communicate about the issue doesn't
come out as nice.

This change was part of a huge set of changes to fix 20 years of
duplication between the Makefile and Makefile.nt files in the build
system.
The commit that did the changes is the following:
https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/commit/cc7ad5650aac641053178ec1d08789b8e793e87b

I don't think it makes sense to try to give you straight away another
variable to use. Chances are that, in the first place, this variable
wasn't the one that made sense to use. Moreover its content could change
at any time (and did change). If you explain the needs, then it should
be possible to give you better hints to adapt to this change.

Best,

--
Adrien Nader