* [Caml-list] Type That's Concrete From Within A Library Abstract From Without
@ 2018-04-26 14:18 Jun Inoue
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jun Inoue @ 2018-04-26 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml list

Dear list,

Is there a way to make a type concrete inside a library, yet opaque to
library users, preferably in a way that works with -pack?  This is a
nagging issue in our sundials package
(http://inria-parkas.github.io/sundialsml/).

Basically, we have a type declared in one module of the library that
is pattern-matched upon in other modules, like:

(* private.ml *)
type opaque_type = Foo | Bar

(* public.ml *)
let f : opaque_type -> int = function
  | Foo -> 0
  | Bar -> 1

There are a few constraints:
- We don't want users to be able to pattern-match on opaque_type.
- We need multiple modules in the library to pattern-match on
opaque-type (so moving opaque_typ e to public.ml is not an option).
- To avoid namespace pollution, we want to pack the whole library
(with ocamlc -pack) as a single Sundials module, so the user sees a
Sundials.Public module instead of just Public.

Is this possible?  Right now, we just collect public.cmo and
private.cmo into sundials.cma and throw away private.cmi.  But this
doesn't work with packing:

$ ocamlc -pack -o sundials.cmo private.cmo public.cmo

demands that there be a private.cmi.

--
Jun Inoue

* Re: [Caml-list] Type That's Concrete From Within A Library Abstract From Without
@ 2018-04-26 14:27 ` Malcolm Matalka
From: Malcolm Matalka @ 2018-04-26 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Inoue; +Cc: caml list

Jun Inoue <jun.lambda@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear list,
>
> Is there a way to make a type concrete inside a library, yet opaque to
> library users, preferably in a way that works with -pack?  This is a
> nagging issue in our sundials package
> (http://inria-parkas.github.io/sundialsml/).
>
> Basically, we have a type declared in one module of the library that
> is pattern-matched upon in other modules, like:
>
> (* private.ml *)
> type opaque_type = Foo | Bar
>
> (* public.ml *)
> let f : opaque_type -> int = function
>   | Foo -> 0
>   | Bar -> 1

Doesn't using .mli files do exactly what you want?

(* public.mli *)
type opaque_type
val f : opaque_type -> int

(* public.ml *)
type opaque_type = Foo | Bar

let f t = ....

@ 2018-04-26 15:03 ` Nicolás Ojeda Bär
From: Nicolás Ojeda Bär @ 2018-04-26 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Inoue; +Cc: caml list

Dear Jun,

This is a limitation of module packs. However, there is a much better
alternative to module packs in the form of module aliases which will
allow you to do what you want.

You can head to
https://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/manual-ocaml/extn.html#sec249 for a
more lengthy explanation, but briefly, in your example:

1. rename private.ml to sundials__private.ml and public.ml to
sundials__public.ml
2. create a file sundials.ml with contents:

  module Private = Sundials__private
  module Public = Sundials__public

3. compile sundials.ml with

  ocamlc -no-alias-deps -c sundials.ml

(you may want to disable warning 49 when doing this)

4. compile the individual files in the library with

  ocamlc -no-alias-deps -open Sundials -c sundials__private.ml
  ocamlc -no-alias-deps -open Sundials -c sundials__public.ml

5. You can now delete (or not install) sundials__private.cmi and ship
the other files

  sundials.cmo
  sundials.cmi
  sundials__public.cmo
  sundials__public.cmi
  sundials__private.cmo

to hide the private module from "outside" library users.

Note that if you use jbuilder/dune, then your library will be built
like this (steps 1-4) by default.

Hope it helps,

Best wishes,
Nicolás

@ 2018-04-26 15:06 ` Ivan Gotovchits
From: Ivan Gotovchits @ 2018-04-26 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Inoue; +Cc: caml list

Hi Jun,

You can achieve this by implying an extra layer of indirection, i.e., by
having two levels of interfaces. For example,

   * A.ml - implementation of module A
   * A.mli - private interface of module A
   * B.ml  - implementation of module B that may rely on anything in A.mli
   * Std.ml - a set of modules that you would like to import, e.g., `module
A = A`, `module B = B`
   * Std.mli - public interface specification

Next, you deploy `std.cmxa` and `std.cmi` but keep `a.cmi` and `b.cmi` to
yourself. This will prevent users from accessing your private modules A and
B directly. (In oasis you can use PrivateModules stanza for this)

Now you will have `Std.A` and `Std.B` that exposes as much as you want. Not
sure whether it will work with the `-pack`, but you can use this approach
instead of it. This is how we address the same issue in [BAP][1]

Cheers,
Ivan

[1]: https://github.com/BinaryAnalysisPlatform/bap

@ 2018-04-26 15:14   ` Nicolás Ojeda Bär
From: Nicolás Ojeda Bär @ 2018-04-26 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Inoue; +Cc: caml list

Sorry, I forgot the last step in my email, which is to create a cma
with all the compilation units:

  ocamlc -a sundials*.cmo -o sundials.cma

and install sundials.cma and the public *.cmi's as needed.

Best wishes,
Nicolás

@ 2018-04-27  5:48   ` Jun Inoue
From: Jun Inoue @ 2018-04-27  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Gotovchits; +Cc: caml list

Hi Ivan,

That's basically our current approach, but it doesn't solve the
namespace pollution problem.  In your example, when someone installs a
file named b.cmi (whose interface is unrelated to your b.ml), the name
conflict prevents loading the std.cma file at all:

$ ocaml
        OCaml version 4.04.0

# #show B;;
module B : sig val foo : int end
# #load "std.cma";;
The files std.cma and b.cmi disagree over interface B

So the technique makes B inaccessible but doesn't remove it from the
namespace.  This is why we want to -pack things, because our analogue
of b.ml is named matrix.ml, and there's no other sensible name for it.

This technique doesn't work with -pack because that option demands all
.cmi's, including b.cmi.  I guess we could rename matrix.ml to
matrix_internal_dont_touch.ml, but we wanted to know if there's a
cleaner approach.  I wish we could supply a .mli file to the product
of -pack, but that also doesn't work...

@ 2018-04-27  6:05     ` Jacques Garrigue
From: Jacques Garrigue @ 2018-04-27  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can provide a mli for the -pack.
Just compile it before.

$ cat > a.ml
type t = int
let x : int = 3
$ cat > b.ml
let x2 = A.x * A.x
$ ocamlc -for-pack P a.ml b.ml
$ cat > p.mli
module A : sig type t val x : t end
module B : sig val x2 : int end
$ ocamlc -c p.mli
$ ocamlc -pack -o p.cmo a.cmo b.cmo

Now, if you use your library with only p.cmo and p.cmi available, you will
only be able to access it through the interface you provided.

Also, the method using module aliases can work too: you just have
to use longer file names for the internal modules, to reduce the risk of
conflicts. But this is more involved than using -pack with a mli.

Jacques Garrigue

@ 2018-04-27  8:53       ` Jun Inoue
From: Jun Inoue @ 2018-04-27  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jacques,

OCaml gives a type error if a public type in b.ml references a
non-trivial type in a.ml.  Is there a way around this?

$ cat > a.ml
type t = Foo of int
let x : t = Foo 3
$ cat > b.ml
type t = A.t
let x2 = A.x
$ cat > p.mli
module B : sig type t = A.t val x2 : t end
$ ocamlc -for-pack P -c a.ml b.ml
$ ocamlc -c p.mli
$ ocamlc -pack -o p.cmo a.cmo b.cmo
File "_none_", line 1:
Error: The implementation (obtained by packing)
       does not match the interface p.mli:
       In module B:
       Modules do not match:
         sig type t = A.t val x2 : A.t end
       is not included in
         sig type t = A.t val x2 : t end
       In module B:
       Type declarations do not match:
         type t = A.t
       is not included in
         type t = A.t

@ 2018-04-27 10:40         ` Mikhail Mandrykin
From: Mikhail Mandrykin @ 2018-04-27 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

> $ cat > p.mli
> module B : sig type t = A.t val x2 : t end
It seems it's the ambiguity between the "outer" and "packed" module A. Shadowing the outer A in p.mli fixes it:

$ cat > p.mli
module A : sig type t end (* t is abstract *)

On 27.04.2018 11:53, Jun Inoue wrote:
> [...]
>>> file named b.cmi (whose interface is unrelated to your b.ml), the name
>>> conflict prevents loading the std.cma file at all:
>>>
>>> $ ocaml
>>>         OCaml version 4.04.0
>>>
>>> # #show B;;
>>> module B : sig val foo : int end
>>> # #load "std.cma";;
>>> The files std.cma and b.cmi disagree over interface B
>>>
>>> So the technique makes B inaccessible but doesn't remove it from the
>>> namespace.  This is why we want to -pack things, because our analogue
>>> of b.ml is named matrix.ml, and there's no other sensible name for it.
>>>
>>> This technique doesn't work with -pack because that option demands all
>>> .cmi's, including b.cmi.  I guess we could rename matrix.ml to
>>> matrix_internal_dont_touch.ml, but we wanted to know if there's a
>>> cleaner approach.  I wish we could supply a .mli file to the product

Mikhail Mandrykin
Linux Verification Center, ISPRAS
web: http://linuxtesting.org
e-mail: mandrykin@ispras.ru

* Re: [Caml-list] Type That's Concrete From Within A Library Abstract From Without
@ 2018-04-27 11:21         ` Elie Canonici Merle
From: Elie Canonici Merle @ 2018-04-27 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Do you need to expose that B.t and A.t are the same?

Because if you don't it works.

$ cat > a.ml
type t = Foo of int
let x : t = Foo 3
$ cat > b.ml
type t = A.t
let x2 = A.x
$ cat > p.mli
module B : sig type t val x2 : t end
$ ocamlc -for-pack P -c a.ml b.ml
$ ocamlc -c p.mli
$ ocamlc -pack -o p.cmo a.cmo b.cmo

If you need to expose the type equality you can make it work by adding the
signature of the module A while still keeping A.t abstract in p.mli (or
not, depending on your needs)

$ cat > a.ml
type t = Foo of int
let x : t = Foo 3
$ cat > b.ml
type t = A.t
let x2 = A.x
$ cat > p.mli
module A : sig type t end
module B : sig type t = A.t val x2 : t end
$ ocamlc -for-pack P -c a.ml b.ml
$ ocamlc -c p.mli
$ ocamlc -pack -o p.cmo a.cmo b.cmo

I hope it helps.

@ 2018-07-06  8:05   ` Timothy Bourke
From: Timothy Bourke @ 2018-07-06  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolás Ojeda Bär; +Cc: Jun Inoue, caml list

* Nicolás Ojeda Bär [2018-04-26 17:03 +0200]:
>This is a limitation of module packs. However, there is a much better
>alternative to module packs in the form of module aliases which will
>allow you to do what you want.

Thank you for this suggestion. We have tried it on a development
branch of the Sundials/ML library and it works quite well.

>4. compile the individual files in the library with
>
>  ocamlc -no-alias-deps -open Sundials -c sundials__private.ml
>  ocamlc -no-alias-deps -open Sundials -c sundials__public.ml

For the record, two details are worth noting regarding the "-open
Sundials".

1. It works well with Merlin if one adds the line

      FLG -open Sundials

   to the .merlin file.

2. It does not work well with ocamldoc, which has no -open option.
   Maybe there is another way around this problem?

In any case, there currently seem to be some other limitations around
ocamldoc and module aliases.

Tim.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Caml-list] Type That's Concrete From Within A Library Abstract From Without
@ 2018-07-06  8:52     ` Gabriel Scherer
From: Gabriel Scherer @ 2018-07-06  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tim, Nicolas Ojeda Bar, Jun Inoue, caml users

According to the OCaml changelog, ocamldoc support for -open was
contributed by Florian Angeletti for OCaml 4.04, so it should be
supported.
(But indeed there may be other limitations around module aliases.)

@ 2018-07-06  9:03       ` Timothy Bourke
From: Timothy Bourke @ 2018-07-06  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Scherer; +Cc: Nicolas Ojeda Bar, Jun Inoue, caml users