From: "Sébastien Hinderer" <Sebastien.Hinderer@inria.fr>
To: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] C, threads, callbacks, and corrupted local_roots
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 13:38:35 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi again, Cédric,

> This makes sense.
> Does it mean that the INSTALL.doc, which instruct to manually change
> the compilation flag and rebuild (see
> https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/blob/trunk/INSTALL.adoc#if-something-goes-wrong)
> is not up to date?

Yes, you are perfectly right, very sorry about that and many thanks for
having pointed this out.

I have just submitted https://github.com/ocaml/ocaml/pull/8759 as an
attempt to improve the situation.

> I guess this is the difference between libasmrun and libasmrund

Yes and also between ocamlrun and ocamlrund

> (I indeed have both installed), although objdump shows debug sections
> in both.

The difference is not so much in the debug symbols, rather in the fact
that, as the INSTALL files rightly explains, the debug version contains
assertions and sanity checks that the valinna versioon does not contain.

> Indeed, when I compile without -fPIC and link with libasmrund on Linux
> it seems to run in some debug mode; ie. it does print additional debug
> strings, but there are no more debug symbols and it seems to be
> compiled with optimisations on all the same. Also, it crash at the
> very same line with the very same 0xfff in local root address.

Why did you try to link rather than using the runtime's executable,
actually?

Best wishes,

Sébastien.