* [Caml-list] expansion of #use?
@ 2020-05-18 11:32 Kenichi Asai
From: Kenichi Asai @ 2020-05-18 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Is there any way to expand the use of #use?  Suppose I have the
following two files:

a.ml:
let a = 3

b.ml:
#use "a.ml";;
print_int a

Given the file name b.ml, I want to obtain:

let a = 3 ;;
print_int a

The -dsource option of ocaml almost does it, but it executes the
program at the same time.  In the above program, it prints 3, too.

So far, I tweak into the OCaml implementation, turn off the execution
in execute_phrase in toploop.ml, and re-compile whole the OCaml.  I
wonder if I can do the same thing simpler than this, possibly using
compiler libs?

Thank you in advance.

PS. I know I should not use #use from the first place.

--
Kenichi Asai

* Re: [Caml-list] expansion of #use?
@ 2020-05-19  9:34 ` Kenichi Asai
From: Kenichi Asai @ 2020-05-19  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I tried to implement it myself, using compiler-libs (based on OCaml
4.11.0-alpha1 that I happen to install recently):

https://github.com/kenichi-asai/remove-sharpuse

It can be installed via:

opam pin add remove-sharpuse https://github.com/kenichi-asai/remove-sharpuse.git

However, if I execute (with attached a.ml and b.ml):

$ remove-sharpuse -dsource b.ml
Fatal error: exception Invalid_argument("The ocamltoplevel.cma library from compiler-libs cannot be loaded inside the OCaml toplevel")

What I did is as follows:

- I copied topstart.ml from toplevel/topstart.ml and modified it so
  that it calls My_topmain.main() instead of Topmain.main().
- I copied my_topmain.ml from toplevel/topmain.ml and modified all the
  occurences of Toploop to My_toploop.
- I copied my_toploop.ml from toplevel/toploop.ml and modified
  execute_phrase so that it does not execute Ptop_def case.  That is,
  I inserted "if true then true else" at line 273:

https://github.com/kenichi-asai/remove-sharpuse/blob/4.11.0-alpha1/my_toploop.ml#L273

  so that Ptop_def case is ignored.

If I insert the "if true then true else" line manually into the OCaml
source and compile it via "make world", I can expand #use by passing
"-dsource" to the resulting ocaml.  Can I do the same using
compiler-libs without getting the above error?

Thank you in advance.

--
Kenichi Asai

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 08:32:03PM +0900,
 Kenichi Asai wrote:

> Is there any way to expand the use of #use?  Suppose I have the
> following two files:
>
> a.ml:
> let a = 3
>
> b.ml:
> #use "a.ml";;
> print_int a
>
> Given the file name b.ml, I want to obtain:
>
> let a = 3 ;;
> print_int a
>
> The -dsource option of ocaml almost does it, but it executes the
> program at the same time.  In the above program, it prints 3, too.
>
> So far, I tweak into the OCaml implementation, turn off the execution
> in execute_phrase in toploop.ml, and re-compile whole the OCaml.  I
> wonder if I can do the same thing simpler than this, possibly using
> compiler libs?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> PS. I know I should not use #use from the first place.
>
> --
> Kenichi Asai

[-- Attachment #2: a.ml --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 14 bytes --]

let a = 1 + 2

[-- Attachment #3: b.ml --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 52 bytes --]

let b = 5;;
#use "a.ml";;
let _ = print_int (a + b)

* Re: [Caml-list] expansion of #use?
@ 2020-05-22  5:50   ` Kenichi Asai
From: Kenichi Asai @ 2020-05-22  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

My attempt succeeded!  Here is what I did.  In addition to the
previous e-mail,

- I copied topdirs.ml from toplevel/topdirs.ml and modified all the
  occurences of Toploop to My_toploop.  This loads the function to
  handle #use into the (compiler-libs) toplevel environment.

- I switched off (!) the check for the following error:

> Fatal error: exception Invalid_argument("The ocamltoplevel.cma library from compiler-libs cannot be loaded inside the OCaml toplevel")

  (If this is too dangerous, please let me know.)

- (Some more minor changes.)

The resulting code can be installed via:

opam pin add remove-sharpuse https://github.com/kenichi-asai/remove-sharpuse.git#4.11.0-alpha1

Note that the default branch is now changed to 4.04.0 (for which I
wanted this tool originally).

--
Kenichi Asai

@ 2020-05-23 11:00     ` orbifx
From: orbifx @ 2020-05-23 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kenichi Asai, caml-list

Kenichi Asai, 2020/05/22:
> My attempt succeeded!  Here is what I did.

Thanks for sharing your findings. It's good to have them on the list :D