* [Caml-list] Ocaml-Lua interface
@ 2004-09-11 18:37 snh1
From: snh1 @ 2004-09-11 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

Well, I wanted to use Lua from Ocaml, so I wrote an interface to do so.
It's somewhat incomplete and probably slightly buggy at the moment, and
the error-handling isn't great, but it works.  Comments and advice are
welcome; this is my first attempt to do anything big/serious with Ocaml's
FFI.  I've only tried this on Linux, but it should work fine under MinGW
or Cygwin.

You can get it at: http://cec.wustl.edu/~snh1/olua-0.1.tar.gz

Pax,
Simon

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml-Lua interface
@ 2004-09-11 23:33 ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2004-09-11 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: snh1; +Cc: caml-list

snh1@cec.wustl.edu wrote:
> Well, I wanted to use Lua from Ocaml, so I wrote an interface to do so.
> It's somewhat incomplete and probably slightly buggy at the moment, and
> the error-handling isn't great, but it works.  Comments and advice are
> welcome; this is my first attempt to do anything big/serious with Ocaml's
> FFI.  I've only tried this on Linux, but it should work fine under MinGW
> or Cygwin.
>
> You can get it at: http://cec.wustl.edu/~snh1/olua-0.1.tar.gz

Cool.  I will look at this in more detail soon.  I had a look through
the test files and readme.  Looks good!  Bindings are a pita, I did a
Lua binding to Ada 95.  Even though the C FFI in Ada is much nicer, it's
still a task to get it done.  Was putting off the Lua binding to OCaml
due to that experience!  Kudos to you!

Would you consider releasing it under the same conditions as Lua 5.x?
It's no big deal, just wondered.

Chris

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml-Lua interface
@ 2004-09-12  4:05   ` snh1
From: snh1 @ 2004-09-12  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> Would you consider releasing it under the same conditions as Lua 5.x?
> It's no big deal, just wondered.
>
> Chris

Probably, but I don't see any real difference from the BSD-ish licence I
was using (though I'm not a lawyer, or anything remotely approaching one).
 Can I ask why?

@ 2004-09-12 11:08 ` Christian Lindig
From: Christian Lindig @ 2004-09-12 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: snh1; +Cc: caml-list

On Sep 11, 2004, at 8:37 PM, snh1@cec.wustl.edu wrote:

> I wanted to use Lua from Ocaml, so I wrote an interface to do so.

We have an implementation of Lua 2.5 in OCaml; since it is written in
OCaml, no C files are necessary.

	http://www.cminusminus.org/rsync/dist/lua-ml.tar.gz

The API makes it especially easy to extend the interpreter; there is a
paper about it:

	http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~nr/pubs/embed-abstract.html

-- Christian

* Re: [Caml-list] Ocaml-Lua interface
@ 2004-09-12 22:33     ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2004-09-12 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: snh1; +Cc: caml-list

snh1@cec.wustl.edu wrote:
>>Would you consider releasing it under the same conditions as Lua 5.x?
>>It's no big deal, just wondered.
>>
>>Chris
>

> Probably, but I don't see any real difference from the BSD-ish licence I
> was using (though I'm not a lawyer, or anything remotely approaching one).
>  Can I ask why?

I just like bindings to software to be under the same license as the
software itself whenever possible.