* Translating the unix course
@ 2008-11-10  1:03 Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2008-11-10  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

By the way each time I need to use the unix module my failing
knowledge of system programming is relieved by the unix course of
Leroy and Remy. This is such a good documentation of ocaml's unix
module it's a shame it isn't available in the lingua franca of
programmers. Apparently there have been unsucessful atempts to
translate it [2] . If the authors wouldn't mind putting the original
on cocan.org or ocaml-tutorial.org maybe this would eventually happen.

Daniel

[1] http://cristal.inria.fr/~remy/poly/system/camlunix/index.html
[2] http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2004/03/31275f2948892d4add345c9bbe81fea5.fr.html

* Re: [Caml-list] Translating the unix course
@ 2008-11-10  7:17 ` Oliver Bandel
From: Oliver Bandel @ 2008-11-10  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Zitat von Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli@erratique.ch>:

> By the way each time I need to use the unix module my failing
> knowledge of system programming
[...]

Best ressource on Unix-Programming: APUE

http://www.kohala.com/start/apue.html

Ciao,
   Oliver

* Re: [Caml-list] Translating the unix course
@ 2008-11-13 20:22 ` Florent Monnier
From: Florent Monnier @ 2008-11-13 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

> By the way each time I need to use the unix module my failing
> knowledge of system programming is relieved by the unix course of
> Leroy and Remy. This is such a good documentation of ocaml's unix
> module it's a shame it isn't available in the lingua franca of
> programmers. Apparently there have been unsucessful atempts to
> translate it [2] . If the authors wouldn't mind putting the original
> on cocan.org or ocaml-tutorial.org maybe this would eventually happen.
>
> Daniel
>
> [1] http://cristal.inria.fr/~remy/poly/system/camlunix/index.html
> [2]
> http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2004/03/31275f2948892d4add34
>5c9bbe81fea5.fr.html

I have recently read several chapters of this documentation, I found it is of
really good quality. There are no equivalent in English because most Unix doc
is for C, so while reading it I was thinking that I would be pleased to
traduct it in English (well perhaps not all because it's huge, but at least
some chapters). The result would be written in my usual poor English but then
it would be easy for an English born guy to correct it.

But unfortunatly this documentation is not GFDL released or so, it is
copyrighted so it is currently not allowed to touch it.

* Re: [Caml-list] Translating the unix course
@ 2008-11-13 20:55   ` Daniel Bünzli
From: Daniel Bünzli @ 2008-11-13 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml List

Le 13 nov. 08 à 21:22, Florent Monnier a écrit :

> I was thinking that I would be pleased to traduct it in English
> (well perhaps not all because it's huge, but at least
> some chapters). The result would be written in my usual poor English
> but then it would be easy for an English born guy to correct it.

Yes, I'm suggesting a collaborative effort, as happened for the
Oreilly book (cf. credits here [1]). If the authors care about having
more control on the output we could do it via a more formal process
than on a wiki. Actually working with the original latex sources I
would be willing to translate a chapter and coordinate the whole
process.

Best,

Daniel

[1] http://caml.inria.fr/pub/docs/oreilly-book/

* Re: [Caml-list] Translating the unix course
@ 2008-11-17 14:40     ` Didier Remy
From: Didier Remy @ 2008-11-17 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Bünzli; +Cc: OCaml List

Daniel Bünzli wrote:

> Le 13 nov. 08 à 21:22, Florent Monnier a écrit :
>
>> I was thinking that I would be pleased to traduct it in English (well
>> perhaps not all because it's huge, but at least
>> some chapters). The result would be written in my usual poor English
>> but then it would be easy for an English born guy to correct it.
>
> Yes, I'm suggesting a collaborative effort, as happened for the Oreilly
> book (cf. credits here [1]). If the authors care about having more
> control on the output we could do it via a more formal process than on a
> wiki. Actually working with the original latex sources I would be
> willing to translate a chapter and coordinate the whole process.

Dear Daniel,

Xavier and I would be happy to see our course notes translated, of course.
We would then license them appropriately.  We are thinking of a "Creative
Commons" license of the kind "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0
United States" (See http://creativecommons.org/license/).  We could also
provide the source code.

If you or someone else is willing to take responsability for such a project,
please contact us.

Best wishes,

         Didier