On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Will M Farr wrote: > Hello, > > I recently encountered a situation where I had (effectively) the following > polymorphic type: > > type 'a record = { id : int; data : 'a } > > and the following compare function > > let compare {id = id1} {id = id2} = Pervasives.compare id1 id2 > > and wanted to put such records into a set. However, I could not figure out > how to make the polymorphic 'a in the type definition "disappear" in the > module argument to the Set.Make functor. Interestingly, I had the same problem recently where I wanted to create a list of "tests" that could access some extra information when run (and would also return a list of tests to run later). I found that using a class type worked well: class type test = object method name : string method run : (test * float) list end To define a test, I simply do: let test_download : Timed_events.test = object (self) val mutable cache = 0 (* anything I want *) method name = "Download" method run = (* From here I can access the cache and plan to run the test again in 10 seconds *) [self, 10.0] end Alan