From: Andres Varon <avaron@gmail.com>
To: David Allsopp <dra-news@metastack.com>
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] ocamlopt performance in 3.11
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:32:01 -0400	[thread overview]

On Oct 17, 2008, at 5:59 AM, David Allsopp wrote:

> Pleased to say that I've got my 3 current projects compiled and
> running
> under 3.11+beta1
>
> Unfortunately for one of the projects, its "reference" run (a
> computationally intensive, repeatable operation the speed of which
> interests
> me) has gone from repeatedly taking ~38 seconds in 3.10.2 to ~46
> seconds in
> 3.11.0+beta1. The other two projects don't have as easy a way for me
> calibrate speed (they spend most of their time blocked on I/O
> anyway!).
>
> Has anything apart from the linker changed much in the 3.11 code
> generator
> and has anyone else noticed a performance drop in any other programs?

The Changes list do mention a number of important changes in the
runtime system.

For most of my programs the bottleneck functions are implemented in C.
For one of the few cases where OCaml is taking care of the core loop,
ocaml 3.11.0beta1 produce a consistently slower native executable than
3.10.2 by a very small factor (around 0.5%). I have not timed in
Windows, and I run Windows inside a virtual machine, so I'm not sure
if the differences I will observe there are just an artifact of that
setup.

Andres

My setup:

     System Software Overview: