From: "Yaron Minsky" <yminsky@cs.cornell.edu>
To: "Damien" <Damien.Pous@ens-lyon.fr>
Cc: caml-list@inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] [ANNOUNCE] : YaM
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 08:56:07 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

Damien said:
> On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 01:56:43 +0200 Markus Mottl wrote:
>
>> It also features file digests, compilation command digests, etc., but
>> can do this in the general case, i.e. is very similar to "make".
>
> I didn't checked back, but it seems to me that omake does not feature
> "compilation command digests" :
>
> if you change the makefile (switch a debug flag for some files...)
>  - with omake/make... : make clean all
>  - with YaM : ./YaM (compiles only affected files + link phases)

omake has the right behavior.  If the command changes, then the affected
targets are rebuilt.  It's actually an amazingly cool feature.  No more
wondering if my system is up to date after modifying the makefile!

> however the major improvements against omake are
>  - better native/bytecode interaction : no Makefile to edit in order to
> switch,
>  - fine -pack support
> (but I tend  to believe I'm the only one finding -pack useful...)

I wonder if -pack support could be added by modifying OMakeroot.  One of
the things I like about omake is that it isn't ocaml-specific -- instead
it's a well thought-out general-purpose solution.  It's not complete yet,
but my experience with it has been quite good.