On 7/19/07, Loup Vaillant wrote: > > 2007/7/18, Luca de Alfaro : > > Dear All, > > > > I would like to share with you an Ocaml implementation of extensible > arrays. > > The implementation is functional, based on balanced trees (and on the > code > > for Set and Map); I called the module Vec (for vector - I like > > short names). You can find it at > > http://www.dealfaro.com/home/vec.html > > Module Vec provides, in log-time: > > > > Access and modification to arbitrary elements ( Vec.put n el v puts > element > > el in position n of vector v, for instance). > > Concatenation > > Insertion and removal of elements from arbitrary positions > (auto-enlarging > > and auto-shrinking the vector). > > as well as: > > > > All kind of iterators and some visitor functions. > > Efficient translation to/from lists and arrays. > > An advantage of Vec over List, for very large data structures, is that > > iterating over a Vec of size n requires always stack depth bounded by > log n: > > with lists, non-tail-recursive functions can cause stack overflows. > > > > I have been using this data structure for some months, and it has been > very > > handy in a large number of occasions. I hope it can be as useful to > you. > > > > I would appreciate all advice and feedback. Also, is there a repository > > where I should upload it? Do you think it is worth it? > > > > All the best, > > > > Luca > > Very interesting. I always felt uneasy about the presence of > imperative arrays without a functional counterpart. I can't wait to > try it. > > Looking at your array type definition, I assume that the timings you > specified are worst-case? Is it possible to achieve better (but > amortized) bounds? Do you think it would be worth the trouble? > > I didn't see in your specs the complexity of your iterators. Does > these work in linear time, like those of the List and Array module? > > Regards, > Loup For get/set, the worst case and the average case are both logarithmic: it's a balanced tree (if you are lucky, you can find your answer at the root! ;-). I am open to new ideas. In part, I wanted a simple data structure (easier to extend, among other things). Also, I use Set, Map, etc, quite often, and those are also balanced trees: I thought that if I can live with those, I can probably live with Vec as well. For an iterator, the worst case is as follows, where n is the size of the Vec: - if you iterate on the whole Vec, then O(n) - if you iterate over m elements (you can iterate on a subrange), then O(m + log n). That's why I have iterators: you can also iterate via a for loop, using get to access the elements, but then the time becomes O(n log n) for the first case, and O(m log n) for the second case. Luca _______________________________________________ > Caml-list mailing list. Subscription management: > http://yquem.inria.fr/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/caml-list > Archives: http://caml.inria.fr > Beginner's list: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ocaml_beginners > Bug reports: http://caml.inria.fr/bin/caml-bugs >