* Package popularity on Debian and Ubuntu
@ 2007-11-29 20:23 Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-11-29 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

I did a little study of the package popularity contest results recently and
discovered lots of interesting things.

One thing that puzzles me though, is why there are ~13,000 installs of
ocaml-base-nox (runtime system for ocaml bytecode executables) but only
~5,500 installs of ocaml-nox (everything needed to develop non-graphical
ocaml applications).

Presumably there are packages with ~7,500 installs that use only the runtime
to run but I can't think what it is and would be interested to know because
these are presumably quite notable pieces of software written in OCaml.

Any ideas?

* Re: [Caml-list] Package popularity on Debian and Ubuntu
@ 2007-11-29 21:44 ` Jean-Christophe Filliâtre
From: Jean-Christophe Filliâtre @ 2007-11-29 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Harrop; +Cc: caml-list

Jon Harrop a écrit :
> Presumably there are packages with ~7,500 installs that use only the runtime
> to run but I can't think what it is and would be interested to know because
> these are presumably quite notable pieces of software written in OCaml.
>
> Any ideas?

Here are at least three Debian softwares written in ocaml and relying on
package ocaml-base-nox only: hevea, bibtex2html, hlins

But I have no idea how many installs they represent. I guess you're
referring to figures at http://popcon.debian.org/ (which I did not know
at all) but I can't find the figures you're giving.

--
Jean-Christophe Filliâtre
http://www.lri.fr/~filliatr/

* Re: [Caml-list] Package popularity on Debian and Ubuntu
@ 2007-11-29 22:01   ` Jon Harrop
From: Jon Harrop @ 2007-11-29 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Filliâtre; +Cc: caml-list

On Thursday 29 November 2007 21:44, Jean-Christophe Filliâtre wrote:
> Jon Harrop a écrit :
> > Presumably there are packages with ~7,500 installs that use only the
> > runtime to run but I can't think what it is and would be interested to
> > know because these are presumably quite notable pieces of software
> > written in OCaml.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Here are at least three Debian softwares written in ocaml and relying on
> package ocaml-base-nox only: hevea, bibtex2html, hlins

Yes indeed! And ledit.

I get:

Package     Debian Ubuntu Total
hevea          526  1,483 2,009
ledit          822    800 1,622
bibtex2html    481    441   922
hlins           83     35   118

> But I have no idea how many installs they represent. I guess you're
> referring to figures at http://popcon.debian.org/ (which I did not know
> at all) but I can't find the figures you're giving.

I'm just grepping the by_inst files and looking at the number of installs for
each package. Also for Ubuntu at:

  http://popcon.ubuntu.com

What's the best way for me to automate this? I'd like to find all packages
that depend upon ocaml-base-nox and how many installs they have on Debian and
Ubuntu. Good for OCaml evangelism. :-)

* Re: Package popularity on Debian and Ubuntu
@ 2007-11-30  0:03     ` Sylvain Le Gall
From: Sylvain Le Gall @ 2007-11-30  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: caml-list

On 29-11-2007, Jon Harrop <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007 21:44, Jean-Christophe Filliâtre wrote:
>> Jon Harrop a écrit :
>> > Presumably there are packages with ~7,500 installs that use only the
>> > runtime to run but I can't think what it is and would be interested to
>> > know because these are presumably quite notable pieces of software
>> > written in OCaml.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>>
>> Here are at least three Debian softwares written in ocaml and relying on
>> package ocaml-base-nox only: hevea, bibtex2html, hlins
>
> Yes indeed! And ledit.
>
> I get:
>
> Package     Debian Ubuntu Total
> hevea          526  1,483 2,009
> ledit          822    800 1,622
> bibtex2html    481    441   922
> hlins           83     35   118
>
>> But I have no idea how many installs they represent. I guess you're
>> referring to figures at http://popcon.debian.org/ (which I did not know
>> at all) but I can't find the figures you're giving.
>
> I'm just grepping the by_inst files and looking at the number of installs for
> each package. Also for Ubuntu at:
>
>   http://popcon.ubuntu.com
>
> What's the best way for me to automate this? I'd like to find all packages
> that depend upon ocaml-base-nox and how many installs they have on Debian and
> Ubuntu. Good for OCaml evangelism. :-)

Well in fact, there is a lot of way to grep this kind of data in
debian...

I just give you one, and let you find the other:
http://www.edos-project.org/ara/search?q=tag%3A%22implemented%2Din%3A%3Aocaml%22++%26+not+tag%3A%22role%3A%3Ashared%2Dlibrary%22+%26+not+tag%3A%22devel%3A%3Alibrary%22+%26+not+tag%3A%22devel%3A%3Alang%3Aocaml%22+%26+not+tag%3A%22role%3A%3Adevel%2Dlib%22+%26+not+tag%3A%22role%3A%3Ashared%2Dlib%22%0D%0A%0D%0A&i=0&m=25&n=true&b=false&s=popularity&x=false&p=false

The url is quiet long, and is only the submission of the following
request into ARA (package search engine, written in OCaml):
tag:"implemented-in::ocaml"  & not tag:"role::shared-library" & not
tag:"devel::library" & not tag:"devel::lang:ocaml" & not
tag:"role::devel-lib" & not tag:"role::shared-lib"

This gives you the list of all package which are OCaml application. The
most popular is: unison, mldonkey, bibtex2html, ledit, hevea,
unison2.9.1, advi, polygen, coq, ara, wyrd, geneweb, hlins, orpie,
spamoracle, approx, mtasc, whitelister...

Unison is the most installed ocaml package.

Regards,
Sylvain Le Gall

* Re: [Caml-list] Re: Package popularity on Debian and Ubuntu
@ 2007-12-05 20:24       ` Luca de Alfaro
From: Luca de Alfaro @ 2007-12-05 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Le Gall; +Cc: caml-list