* Dynamic loading on Mac OS X
@ 2008-10-15 20:14 Harrison, John R
From: Harrison, John R @ 2008-10-15 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OCaml

This discussion of dynamic loading in 3.11 reminded me of a more basic
question I meant to ask, but never did. On certain platforms, e.g. all
Linuxes I've ever used, the following works in a plain OCaml toplevel:

  #load "nums.cma";;

On other platforms, notably Cygwin, it doesn't. (At least, for OCaml
3.10 on my version of Cygwin, which is not very old.)

  # #load "nums.cma";;
  Cannot load required shared library dllnums.
  Reason: dllnums.so: dynamic loading not supported on this platform.

I was sure that Mac OS X was among the platforms where this *doesn't*
work, based on experiments a year or two ago. However I recently found
that apparently it *does* after all work on my Mac. Since the original
experiments I've upgraded the Mac to Leopard, and maybe I've even
changed my OCaml version, though I don't remember for sure. Am I just
plain wrong, or has this really only started to work recently?

John.